File Transfer between Macs over the Web

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by froggyhenry, Oct 18, 2009.

1. froggyhenry macrumors newbie

Looking for something I can setup to transfer files from my home iMac to my folks' MBP over the internet.

We use iChat (via Google mail) often, and I "take over" their MBP to perform maintenance and just generally help them when they get stuck (they're not very computer literate) however, I would like to have a way to transfer files that are too big to email to their machine i.e. video clips etc.

Any recommendation for some sort of FTP application would be much appreciated. I've used FTP software on Windows machines before, just haven't used anything on macs yet.

Thanks!

2. Steve-M macrumors regular

Is there a reason why you can not send files with iChat?

edit:

If you would rather use FTP, all the necessary tools are already built into OS X. This would involve setting up one Mac as a server, and connecting to it with the other. If your comfortable with that, you can find thousands of tutorials by searching google.

3. babby macrumors member

Dropbox

I use dropbox to share files between computers. You get 2G free. Getdropbox.com

4. froggyhenry thread starter macrumors newbie

I've never noticed you could do that within iChat. We use it through Google Mail so maybe there's a limitation there?