File transfer from Aperture to LR?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by MiniD3, Jun 27, 2014.

1. MiniD3 macrumors 6502a

MiniD3

For those of us that have giant libraries
    How do we get the Aperture libraries across to LR

I did hear that Adobe was going to assist with this but do not know when

This old timer may struggle with this, I just love technology and change but its the DAM and transfer of Aperture files that is daunting
    ........Gary

2. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

Aperture managed libraries with masters in side the database files or, referenced with masters in the file system?

3. MiniD3 thread starter macrumors 6502a

MiniD3

Actually, have a bit of both

Have current year as managed and the rest referenced
    There is an option to export the original so I guess that is one way of dragging the original NEFs out of the Aperture database
    ......Gary

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I saw this posted in another thread. Might help you out.

5. Designer Dale macrumors 68040

Designer Dale

Thanks. Bookmarked for future reference.

Dale

6. snberk103 macrumors 603

I suspect that Adobe will have a migration tool available very quickly. Adobe announced they will have a "...rich roadmap of rapid innovation for desktop, web and device workflows in the coming weeks, months and years." (From the MR front page). The only thing that Adobe really needs to release in the next 'weeks' is the migration tool. Aperture still works... live with it for a few weeks and see what Adobe announces. This is a spectacular opportunity for them to sign up a whole bunch of new customers... they're going to spend some resources on this I believe.

7. egis macrumors member

Gary - others have instructed/suggested you wait. Here is some information that might assist you in deciding whether to wait for Adobe's tool or DIY.

The most reliable advice for moving your Aperture libs to LR can be found at: http://lightroomsolutions.com/articles/migrating-from-aperture-to-lightroom-where-do-i-begin/

This page started several years ago and remains alive. Be sure to review the comments section below the actual article to capture up to date experiences and advice.

As to understanding the differences between AP3 and LR5 at the DAM level. Invest 35.00 and purchase Peter Krogh's book at: http://thedambook.com/organizing-your-photos-with-lightroom-5/

Personal experience is that both sources cover the essential elements of migration and building out the DAM. Admittedly, the missing link or question yet to be addressed is how much, if any, metadata and AP3 edits will be brought over to LR5 from AP3 by the tool set to be offered by Adobe. Depending on how much metadata you have in AP3, my guess is they will use XMP sidecars. As to edits, that's a different story and may well require some engineering.

I have spent the last few weeks migrating my AP3 libs to LR5. Using xmp sidecars most metadata came through. Edits, unfortunately were lost. So right now I am holding my AP3 library as is and everything new goes into LR5. I suspect that unless Adobe pushes out a robust migration tool set, a lot of us will be holding on to our AP3 libs, and bringing over our best images to LR5 and re-editing.

Hope this helps answer your questions.

ps here is the gospel from Apple on export:

Using Aperture, you can export photos (both versions and copies of originals), projects, albums, folders, audio clips, and video clips in a variety of ways.

When you export photo versions, you can export them in JPEG, TIFF, PNG, and PSD file formats. You can rename files, resize and adjust images, and include metadata such as EXIF information, IPTC information, and keywords. You can also apply ColorSync profiles and watermarks to the versions you’re exporting. You can export separate lists of metadata for selected photos as a file. And you can export originals with IPTC data stored in XMP sidecar files that can be used in other applications, such as Adobe Photoshop.

An easy way to export photos is to use one of the Aperture export preset. Presets, or groups of export settings, allow you to efficiently export your photos in any of several common formats. If the presets included with Aperture don’t meet your needs, you can create your own presets, modify existing export presets, or delete presets you no longer use.

When you export projects, folders, and albums (or a combination of all three), Aperture consolidates the originals and versions of the items you selected in the Library inspector and exports them as a library, maintaining their organizational structure. You can then merge the exported library into the Aperture library on another computer.

8. ChrisA macrumors G4

I'd bet that Adobe is working on this right now. I expect them to have some kind of software migration tool in the coming months.

The real big problem is that the edits in Aperture are non-destructive and if you want to keep those edits you need to convert the files to TIFF. This will more then bough the size of the library. There is no good solution.

But why move to LR? There are others. Look at maybe Capture One Pro?

There are good reasons NOT to move to LR, they will move to a subscription-only policy once Aperture is gone. But if that's OK you do get a lot for $10 per month.

9. fa8362 macrumors 65816

I don't see that as a consideration. Hardly anyone used Aperture. That's why Apple killed it.

10. MiniD3 thread starter macrumors 6502a

MiniD3

Thank you, saved the link
    Looks great, maybe lose the the edits though
    ........Gary

11. MiniD3 thread starter macrumors 6502a

MiniD3

Thank you Egis
    Appreciate your time and effort for the detailed reply,
    Now have LR and PS, may do some "trial" imports from exported images that I have in Aperture and see what info comes across
    The other unknown I guess is how good is the DAM going to be with the "new" Photos, if it is really good, maybe I could just make adjustments with PS? And, whether my existing Plug-ins are going to work in photos
    .......Gary

----------

Tks Chris,
    Already have Adobe CC
    I use PS a lot and find the $10 a month a good deal,
    I just loved the way I could open an image in Aperture, using CMDshiftO and it would go straight into PS, do the edits, close, use CMD W and the file would go straight back to Aperture in the same folder as a PSD

I sort of went through this when I changed from Nikon CaptureNX2 to Aperture 3, hundreds of hours sorting it out, had to change a lot to tiff that had heaps of edits, for the others, re-edited most of them, thought I had this change over and done with, maybe not! :)
    .........Gary

12. phrehdd macrumors 68040

phrehdd

It would be good if Adobe provided the proper toolset to migrate from Aperture to Lightroom. Until then, if Aperture works well enough for some users, I would imagine it would be worthwhile to stay with Aperture until there are tried and true tools to migrate to Lightroom. On the other hand, if Aperture is sufficient with some 3rd party plug ins, maybe leaving Aperture would be premature at present.

13. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I guess the skeptic in me doesn't expect a migration tool. I would hope for one, but I'm not holding my breath. I'm transitioning my files over as we speak.