File transfer Q

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by bigboy99, Mar 31, 2010.

1. bigboy99 macrumors 6502

I'm considering the Panasonic HDC-HS700K or TM700K. The only camera outputs are USB 2.0 or HDMI. HDMI is the same format as DVI. What is the best way to import to my MacBookPro?

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

I don't know if you have answered your question via some kind of research, but as that camera most likely uses some file based recording system, you just import those files via USB into the editing application of your choice.
    That process might take a while, depending on your CPU speed, as the video needs to be converted into another format using another codec to be editable if that is what you want.

DVI and HDMI are for transferring "video" (the image of what your computer or TV wants to display) from a computer or any other video playing device to a monitor or TV, but nor for the actual capture and import process, especially with file based cameras.

Have you taken a look at the manual, that might be publicly available via Panasonic or some other website and seen what is written down there about transferring your videos from the camera to your Mac?

The following is taken from the thread titled "How to maximise your MacRumors troubleshooting experience" created by mad jew in 2006. It contains more elaborate information on the short extracts I took from it and should help you in finding appropriate help. I also made some additions after finding that thread.

1. Search for threads or guides containing similar problems.
      MRoogle is quite a good tool to search these forums.
    2. Start your thread in the appropriate forum or sub-forum.
      Here is the forum's main page with the list of all the sub-fora found here.
    3. Use a specific thread title.
      "Need help!!!!???? ASAP!!!" and its variants are not specific.
    4. Find and post machine hardware and software configurations.
      You can find out more about your Mac by going to the Menu Bar > :apple: > About This Mac > More Info ... (this button opens Applications / Utilities / System Profiler) > Hardware Overview.
    5. Tell us your problem, and be specific. What is happening to your machine?
      What Mac OS X version and what Mac do you use, ... .
    6. How long has this been happening? What changes were made just before this started?
    7. What have you already tried?
    8. Respond to all posted advice with details of what happened.
    9. Be wary of the (very) occasional bad advice.
    10. Be patient.
    11. Be courteous.

3. Gymnut macrumors 68000

Gymnut

I'm not familiar with Panasonic's consumer lineup, but if it's anything like what Canon's HV20/30/40 was like, with HDMI out, you could bypass the AVCHD compression with the use of the BlackMagic Intensity Pro card, installed in a Mac Pro; Of course you would have to be tethered to a Mac Pro while you are recording. However, since you're using a MBP, like spinnerly's has pointed out, USB 2.0 is your only option for transfer.