File Transfer Speed

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by LamboSE5, Jun 24, 2013.

1. LamboSE5 macrumors newbie

Hey everyone,

So I'm currently reading a thread or two related to my issue, but I don't know if it'll solve my problem/answer my question(s).

Question: I'm trying to free up space on my MBP, I need to move 448GB from it to my External Seagate drive. It says "about 22 hours"/"about a day"... Is there a faster way to do this?? So far it's moved 44GB.
    Why can't we cut and paste, it has to be copied first and then I delete the "originals" from their folder on the MBP?

In short, my (xmas 2012?) MBP 15", 2.4Ghz i7 (upgraded to 8Gigs RAM maybe 6 months ago) started to feel a little slower lately and I can't figure out why.
    I did the PRAM reset, and the other type.. MRS..SRS - I can't remember.

So I check my HDD and I have 115GB free out of 749GB... would this "lack of space" cause slowness? Seen more beach balls, and spinning blue ball, and some kinda choppy youtube video viewing while doing other stuff (not intensive; email, word document, internet browsing at once).

Also, I've attempted to do this before about a week ago, waited FOREVER for it to "copy" my files to a E-HD, then when it was "done" it said that it was a couple Gigs shy on space so it just cancelled the whole operation!? WTF!!?? Why did I wait for DAYS then? Why didn't it just copy/move what it had done instead of undoing all that "copying".

-I'm using NTFS-3G right now for the operation.

2. LamboSE5 thread starter macrumors newbie

I guess that's just how long it takes...then...?

It finished a few mins ago. NOW, I have to delete the ORIGINALS from my MBP, that'll take another full day probably, 7000+ items.

This is one area where I don't like mac. (but I love my mac :)

3. Freyqq macrumors 68040

Does your comp support USB 3 and is it a USB 3 hd?