File Transfer

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by kenglade, Mar 28, 2009.

1. kenglade macrumors 6502

I'm new to Mac and am trying to move a slew of files from my PC in preparation for a total switch. In this case, I had two folders with numerous subfolders that I wanted to make available on my iMac G5 (Leopard). I copied the folders to CDs, then transferred them to the Mac. But now I'm unable to write to those folders/subfolders. Apparently, my permission is restricted to "read only."

When I go to Finder, then Get Info and try to change the permission, Mac will not recognize my administrator's password. The folders/subfolders were not password protected on the PC so I don't know what password Mac is looking for.

I need full access to these files (R/W) on the Mac so any advice would be appreciated.

Apparently I also have to change the permission on each of the subfolders.

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

3. yoyo5280 macrumors 68000

yoyo5280

it may be some permission settings you set on your pc.

4. kenglade thread starter macrumors 6502

In the Documents folder. They are all .doc files.

I created new folders in the Documents fle and put them there. I have r/w access to the folders i created on the Mac, but not to the subfolders where the files themselves reside.

5. kenglade thread starter macrumors 6502

Boy, I hope not because I have no idea what it would have been. As far as i know nothing on the PC is password protected.

6. yoyo5280 macrumors 68000

yoyo5280

If you have your pc set up, you can try right clicking the folder and clicking properties. There might be a tab with options to set up the permissions.

7. kenglade thread starter macrumors 6502

File transfer

Good idea. I just went to the PC, and found the "share this folder on the network" box unchecked. I checked it and the PC is now going through the subfolders. Let me try to recopy the files to a CD, then onto the Mac.

Many thanks for your help.

I'll be back

8. kenglade thread starter macrumors 6502

File transfer

That didn't work. When I click on Get Info I see that I have read only access and have been unable to change it.

9. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Open a Terminal window (in /Applications/Utilities) and type:

sudo chown -R yourname:yourname ~/Documents
    sudo chmod -R u+rw ~/Documents

... where yourname is the name of your user home folder.

10. kenglade thread starter macrumors 6502

file transfer

No go.

When I try your command in Terminal I get this response:

Kenneth-Englades-Computer:~Ken$

When then type in my password, I get:

"command not found"

11. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

You only need to type your password if it asks for it. It will remember your password for a while, so you don't have to type it twice.

You will get an error if there is a problem. With most commands, including chown/chmod, it will say nothing if the command succeeds.

Do you have write access now?

12. kenglade thread starter macrumors 6502

File Transfer

Negative. The computer won't accept my password. It says only "command not found"

Alos, when I went back to Terminal I was unable to get a fresh window. The window with the error response remains on the screen. Closing the window and trying to open another doesn't work either.

I didn't realize it would be this difficult just to move files from a PC to an Apple. Maybe I', missing something.