File Vault 2 and 3rd Party SSD

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by Traverse, May 1, 2014.

1. Traverse macrumors 603

Traverse

I am about to install a Samsung SSD into my 2011 MacBook Pro. I currently use FV2 with the OEM HDD.

Will I have any issues with FV2 on this SSD? Will it shorten its life or cause system issues in later upgrades?

Thanks!

2. Traverse thread starter macrumors 603

Traverse

I have researched it and some users have reported that using FV2 on a third party SSD "causes unused sectors of the drive to be reported as used to the system" which my decrease performance.

Does anyone know of this?

PS: Sorry to moderators about the "bump," this is my first forum use and I did not know what a bump was. I should have posted this info when I posted earlier. Sorry...

3. jpeezy macrumors regular

I just turned on FV2 on my 2011/OWC Extreme Pro 6G about a week ago, haven't noticed any difference or issues.

4. 556fmjoe macrumors 65816

I have used full disk encryption on 2 SSDs for almost 4 years now. I have not noticed any difference in speed and have had no problems.

5. Traverse thread starter macrumors 603

Traverse

Thanks! I feel better now.

6. poorcody, May 2, 2014
    Last edited: May 2, 2014

poorcody macrumors 6502

poorcody

Ditto here. About 18 months with a SanDisk SSD in a Mac Mini, File Vault 2 full drive... no problems.

Be aware with a 3rd-party SSD drive, OS X doesn't enable TRIM by default. (I assume this is still true with Mavericks -- can anyone confirm?)

I use a simple free app called "Trim Enabler" to turn it on:
    http://www.cindori.org

7. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Yes, I can confirm that. On my 840 Pro, updating from 10.9.1 to 10.9.2 disabled TRIM, and I had to re-enable it with TRIM enabler.