File Vault II Encryption: Yes or No?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by HiRez, Jul 22, 2011.

1. HiRez macrumors 603

HiRez

So does anyone have any thoughts or experiences with this? I enabled it on my new Air, it doesn't seem to affect speed too much, even with a large Adobe Lightroom catalog. Any downsides to using it? But, considering I don't have autologin enabled, is it really necessary?

2. JamesM macrumors regular

Depends if you're worried about someone accessing your data. Auto login doesn't stop access as they can reset the password or just put the drive in a caddy to access the data.

3. basher macrumors 6502

basher

4. HiRez thread starter macrumors 603

HiRez

Thanks, guys. I like having my stuff encrypted in a laptop that could potentially get lost or stolen, but the performance hit seems significant to me, so maybe I'll disable it. Which means another complete sync to Time Capsule, ugh.

5. jdoelger macrumors newbie

Compared to giving a thief full access to my life, the performance hit doesn't bother me. What, 20%, max 30% in certain test scenarios? I enabled it on my SSD and soon will on my data drive that houses my home dir.

HiRez, have you seen an actual performance hit or are you going off of what the link tested? I'm willing to bet it's something you can live with. It's something we all should.