file vault problem !

Discussion in 'macOS' started by sanzu3, Sep 17, 2007.

1. sanzu3 macrumors regular

sanzu3

OKay, so tomorrow my super new MBP should be arriving:)

So I've started thinking about transferring my files from my old Macbook to my new MBP. I use file vault on the MB so I decided to switch it off and decrypt ready to move everything across.

I have repeatedly tried and I keep getting an error msg "there was an error decrypting your files (there was an error copying)..."

Any ideas how to fix this ? I've run disk utility and verified disk and repaired permissions.

I'm not too worried because I have copied everything to an external drive - so that data will be decrypted right ? But its made me think that running file vault is maybe not such a good idea...

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

You hit the nail on the head, mate. There're a tonne of threads around here complaining about FileVault. It's safer to use an encrypted sparse disk image for the sensitive data. It has the same level of encryption but doesn't then affect your system and regular user files and settings. :)

3. sanzu3 thread starter macrumors regular

sanzu3

Yep that's my plan now - I really only have a couple of files needing encrypting so sparse disk is the way to go.