File vault problems

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Tashtastic, May 31, 2009.

1. Tashtastic macrumors newbie

Ok so i had file vault on, i had remembered the password but it's not working, this is my old mac so i'm not the admin anymore my parent is. They changed their password and it's asking for the master password, now niether of ttheir passwords work and i cant make myself admin because i cant get on her account.

2. aicul macrumors 6502a

anyone know a better solution that re-install?

3. i.shaun macrumors 6502a

i.shaun

hmm boot from install dvd, see if the password reset tool works.

It should come up with a screen ready to install, click "tools" or something in the task bar at the top, and I believe it is listed with Disk Utility, Terminal, etc. .

I don't know if that's just the user account password it resets, or the master password, but I guess its worth a shot.

Other then that, archive+install (may take a while) then recover files out of the "previous OS" folder and re-format for a clean install. (well I guess you don't HAVE to, but I personally prefer clean installs).

4. Tashtastic thread starter macrumors newbie

5. aicul macrumors 6502a

Are we sure the install disk allows bypass/reset of file-vault?

6. Tashtastic thread starter macrumors newbie

7. bartelby macrumors Core

I thought if you forgot your FileVault password you were, basically, knackered.

8. Tashtastic thread starter macrumors newbie

9. tekio macrumors regular

You are unless the you know the master password, changing the password won't give you access.

10. Jethryn Freyman macrumors 68020

Jethryn Freyman

You can't decrypt a filevault without either your login password or the master password.

11. Tashtastic thread starter macrumors newbie

But i dont understand why neither of her passwords work now, file vault only came up when she tried to change it, this never happened when i changed my password when i was admin :/

12. Jethryn Freyman macrumors 68020

Jethryn Freyman

Either the password is wrong, or something is corrupted, which would be extremely rare.

Google "AppleSetupDone". It will tell you how to create an admin account on a Mac without logging in.