Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PS65

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 25, 2008
United Kingdom
Hi Guys,

I was messing around with my MBP, and enabled File Vault. Noticed how long it would take and cancelled it.

It restarted the computer, but now I cant log in. It takes a while to accept the correct password...but then rejects it. I have the option to reset using the master password - but nothing.

So I found this: http://support.apple.com/kb/TA23128?viewlocale=en_US

If you read, it says I can reinstall Mac OS X to get back into my machine. Will this work (I do not have the DVD with me - going home tomorrow) ?

I do not mind loosing data - nothing was on it anyway.

If anyone could tell me, really appreciate it. I think I have to just stick the disc in, and then hold 'C' down whilst it restarts - correct?

Thanks!!!

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
hhmm looks like you might have to restart!!

if you have another mac + a firewire cable boot into Target Disk Mode and see if you can copy any of your user files off just incase.

i think reinstalling may fix the problem, but maybe because it has been partly 'FileVaulted' even the OS installer mightnt have access onto it (it is HIGHLY encrypted).

goodluck!

PS65

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 25, 2008
United Kingdom
hhmm looks like you might have to restart!!

if you have another mac + a firewire cable boot into Target Disk Mode and see if you can copy any of your user files off just incase.

i think reinstalling may fix the problem, but maybe because it has been partly 'FileVaulted' even the OS installer mightnt have access onto it (it is HIGHLY encrypted).

goodluck!

I dont have another MB. Not too worries about loosing anything either. I am just thinking, if I do a full install (erase and install), surely it will remove the image? Or would apple really make a product that, if a password was forgotten, the computer would always remain in that state??

I am away from home at the moment, go home tomorrow evening. This MBP is actually being returned because it has a really bad screen problem - so worst comes to worst - I will try installing Mac OS x again - if not, just return it locked? Apple will most likely reinstall everything themselves - or not?

Any advice?

Thanks guys, really appreciate all the help!

wordmunger

macrumors 603
Sep 3, 2003
North Carolina
I dont have another MB. Not too worries about loosing anything either. I am just thinking, if I do a full install (erase and install), surely it will remove the image? Or would apple really make a product that, if a password was forgotten, the computer would always remain in that state??

You're right. FileVault doesn't destroy the hard drive, just encrypts the data. You can reformat the HD and be good to go. The point is that there's no way to get at your data; it's not going to destroy the computer.

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom

I am away from home at the moment, go home tomorrow evening. This MBP is actually being returned because it has a really bad screen problem - so worst comes to worst - I will try installing Mac OS x again - if not, just return it locked? Apple will most likely reinstall everything themselves - or not?

Any advice?

Thanks guys, really appreciate all the help!

oohh ok your gonna erase & install. i was talking about an archive and install!! that will be fine then.

you can reset the password by booting into the install disk and using a program that is in the menu, that always works. however i dont think that is the problem, it more lies with the fact that because you cancelled the FileVault it has completely stuffed up the system. changing the password mightnt work. its worth a try though.

apple wont care if you've ****ed up the system lol they would probably throw your HD out anyway.

PS65

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 25, 2008
United Kingdom
Cheers guys! I'll just try and Erase and Install tomorrow evening.

I wanted to clean some of the files I had anyway - since I have a replacement. Ideal oppurtunity. If it doesnt work - I will just send it back to Apple - Say "oh no, I forgot the password on that machine".

But...Apple has been good to me, so I dont want to be an idiot to them - I have a go and hopefully give them back a fresh OS.

Thanks again!! :)

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
Cheers guys! I'll just try and Erase and Install tomorrow evening.

I wanted to clean some of the files I had anyway - since I have a replacement. Ideal oppurtunity. If it doesnt work - I will just send it back to Apple - Say "oh no, I forgot the password on that machine".

But...Apple has been good to me, so I dont want to be an idiot to them - I have a go and hopefully give them back a fresh OS.

Thanks again!! :)

ohhh i wouldnt say that you forgot your password!! they would just try to fix it for you, realise what you have done, and probably reinstall everything.

i would just say you want a replacement because the screen is bad.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.