File Vault

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Stomper, May 9, 2009.

1. Stomper macrumors newbie

I turned file vault on some months ago, and IDIOT (me) here failed to note the PW. I was in a building subject break ins. I don't remember the PW and the hint I entered is crytpic at this time and I don't recall what it means anymore.
    my hint is "louis krebs 1906"
    So here is my question, is there anyway to recover the master password from the file vault? Any programs, hacks, or other ideas someone might have? I would appreciate assistance.
    OS is 10.5.6, iMac 2.4Gz.
    Ideas or help from anyone would be appreciated.

Thanks

2. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

Nope, that's kind of the purpose of encrypting. You would need some serious software to crack FileVault. If you could easily recover the password people wouldn't bother using it. You might want to look into a program like 1Password for future password management.

3. Jethryn Freyman macrumors 68020

Jethryn Freyman

The only way to recover a Filevault password is to brute force it.

There are no backdoors or vulnerabilities in the encryption algorithm.

4. Stomper thread starter macrumors newbie

Filevault

I use 1Password, and it's really helpful but this is the one time where I didn't save the PW in the PW1 keychain. Well it's a lesson learned about the filevault. This should answer some questions I've seen posted regarding the FV encryption.
    Here's my follow on question. Is there anyway to remove the current FV and replace it with a new one?

5. Jethryn Freyman macrumors 68020

Jethryn Freyman

Remember that storing a password in a keychain makes the password less secure (especially depedning on the algorithm that the password manager uses.)

You'll have to create a new account.

6. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

I think you may have to delete the user account since you can't turn off FileVault. Of course that's assuming you have a second account on the machine. I've never had to do this so not sure what gotchas may come up.

7. ppc750fx macrumors 65816

There are no known backdoors in File Vault. There are some attacks on it, but they're very impractical and it's unlikely they'd be of any use to you.

8. wackymacky macrumors 65832

wackymacky

I'm always a little skeptible about people whos first post when they join the forums is "I've lost my password for my computer:, or my "pascode for my phone", or I just bought a comptuer/phone and they forgot to tell me the password".

You have to deleate the account or remeber your passsword.

If you googled it you would know that Louis Stuart Krebs, was born on Nov. 11, 1906; parents being Albert Krebs & Maria Roach.

He died age 30