File won't delete when emptying Trash

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Sylon, Apr 18, 2012.

1. Sylon macrumors 68020

Sylon

I was cleaning out my Documents folder, and when I went to empty the trash, I get this warning:

[​IMG]

The problem is, nothing is using it. I haven't used that file for probably a month. Hitting the Stop or Continue buttons doesn't do anything. I've tried restarting the computer, no luck. What can I do to permanently delete this file?

2. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

Is it locked ? Does it have a padlock on the icon ?

If so unlock it then you can empty the trash.

3. Sylon thread starter macrumors 68020

Sylon

According to the info, the file is not locked. I checked that too, forgot to mention it.

----------

UPDATE: Well, this is awkward, lol. No, the file wasn't locked, I know what you're thinking, lol.

Get this, I went to delete that screenshot of the warning it gave me. When I went to empty the Trash again, the rogue file went with it. Trash is empty. No fricken clue why it went this time and not the 17 times before. I don't care though, its gone. You can close this thread now.

[/thread]

4. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

Just do a restart on the computer, then empty trash again.

Edit: Sorry, I didn't see the last post.

5. Sylon thread starter macrumors 68020

Sylon

I restarted several times without much luck. When I originally sent the file to the trash, the icon for it had the orange road cone from VLC Media Player. But this file came from Excel, so I have no idea why VLC would even acknowledge it. Weirdest thing I've had to deal with on this Mac so far.