FileBrowser -- is awesome!

Discussion in 'iPad Apps' started by wolfbbg, Apr 27, 2011.

1. wolfbbg macrumors newbie

Hi Gang:

As a new iPad owner, I stumbled across FileBrowser (FB) last week and have been so impressed I wanted to share my experiences.

Background: I ripped most of my DVD's and store all of my photo (.NEF's & .jpg's) backups and other documents to a D-Link DNS-321 (NAS) attached to my wireless router. Not only does FB play the movies perfectly, but it can even view the (.NEFs) raw images from my DSLR !

I don't know if FB and VLC will play .vob's, but I'm gonna try that tonight. It would be nice if I didn't have to rip any more DVD's, though.

Highly recommended!

bg

2. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

Couldn't agree more. This app has been mentioned in several threads here. I bought and use it all the time now too. Great app and pretty darn easy to setup too. On both a Mac and Windows Box.

3. JulianL macrumors 65816

You'll get no arguments from me. I found it on the first evening of playing with my iPad and it just works. I can open any data file on my desktop PC when I'm sitting in my front room watching TV to quickly check something in a spreadsheet or PDF or Word document or whatever. It's allowed me to really use my iPad just like I used to use my laptop from the sofa before.

- Julian

4. eurobum macrumors member

I'm think I'm getting this. Can you select what app to open a specific file with on the iPad?

That's a key feature to me.

5. tdream macrumors 65816

Pity it doesn't play avi or mkv though. Apart from that it's not bad.

6. kirky29 macrumors 65816

kirky29

Use it all the time, mostly for browsing my external hard drive on my Mac and watching an episode of something - then AirPlaying it over to my Apple TV :)

7. eurobum macrumors member

So you can't open files with another app and not FileBrowser's own player?

8. tdream macrumors 65816

You can but you have to download the whole first before opening in the other app, ie no streaming.

9. eurobum macrumors member

Whaaat, that's terrible. I'm not gonna download a 20 GB 1080p MKV onto my iPad.

The search continues.

10. chiefillini macrumors regular

Just purchased the FileBrowser app tonight. Does anyone else get extremely slow transfer speeds when trying to paste a file onto your ipad from another location (ie macbook or hard drive attached to airport)?
    I can not pull a speed greater than 2.5 MB/s.:confused:

11. Jeff Flowerday macrumors regular

That's all I can get, and all that anyone I know can get. The developer really needs to put some time into improving network performance.

12. dukeblue91 macrumors 65816

dukeblue91

Yes I love this app as it lets me connect to my Time Capsule in a very easy way.
    But it is a little slow on the file transfer side and could use loads of improvement on that end of things.