Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RecentlyConverted

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 21, 2015
I have been pleased with the iOS versions.
Yes, the iOS versions are very good, and are what kept me in the Apple eco system, (an essential app before Apple released Files, but this has stayed far better than the Apple Files App, with its continual development).

I look forward to using the Mac version, and I am sure Stratospherix will continually improve it, with new features requsted by users. I have never stumbled across such a helpful developer, who is so open to suggestions and requests. They make some great apps, but FileBrowser Professional (iOS), is the jewel in their crown.

cupcakes2000

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2010
I use it on my iPad and my phone (though much less on my phone), but what would it offer over even finder on the Mac?

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
What are the advantages of this over ForkLift?
I would say if you already have Forklift or Transmit, save your money. This app offers the same type abilities. I supported the developer because I already purchase the iOS version. Normally, I don't make an overt habit of buying apps that overlap unless one has a bug that hasn't been worked out and it impedes my flow etc.

Developer_Nath

macrumors newbie
May 4, 2021
United Kingdom
What are the advantages of this over ForkLift?
While both apps are file managers, it appears that FileBrowser Pro has additional connectors for OneDrive, OneDrive for Business, SharePoint, and pCloud that Forklift doesn’t have. If you don’t need these connectors, then it depends on UI preference because they are quite different.

Developer_Nath

macrumors newbie
May 4, 2021
United Kingdom
I use it on my iPad and my phone (though much less on my phone), but what would it offer over even finder on the Mac?
Some of things that our FileBrowser Pro for Mac app does that are quite different from Finder include:

- Connecting to a wide variety of network and cloud storage, allowing easy copy/paste or drag/drop between locations.
- Configure automatic Sync and Backup tasks for specified folders, rather than the “all or nothing” approach that some desktop sync apps provide.
- Bookmarks to folders for 1-tap browsing.

We’re not trying to produce a Finder replacement. We’re trying to provide additional features to help your workflow.

RecentlyConverted

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 21, 2015
For a user of their iOS app, using the Mac version provides great continuity, as it looks and acts the same. You can also share settings from one version to another.

cupcakes2000

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2010
Some of things that our FileBrowser Pro for Mac app does that are quite different from Finder include:

- Connecting to a wide variety of network and cloud storage, allowing easy copy/paste or drag/drop between locations.
- Configure automatic Sync and Backup tasks for specified folders, rather than the “all or nothing” approach that some desktop sync apps provide.
- Bookmarks to folders for 1-tap browsing.

We’re not trying to produce a Finder replacement. We’re trying to provide additional features to help your workflow.
Thanks for the response! Well I love File Browser on the iPad, because the iPad is lacking the ability to easily do the features available in the app. It’s a great app.
I can’t see a feasible use case on the Mac for me though. I’m sure it will work for many people none the less!

dranakin

macrumors 6502
Mar 6, 2005
Thanks for sharing and thoughts on the app. Just got an M1 IPP and the built-in files app is…lacking. I feel like the Filebrowser Professonal iOS app may be a solution? Are there any published reviews from tech websites on this app?

cupcakes2000

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2010
Thanks for sharing and thoughts on the app. Just got an M1 IPP and the built-in files app is…lacking. I feel like the Filebrowser Professonal iOS app may be a solution? Are there any published reviews from tech websites on this app?
Be aware- it doesn’t turn files into finder! It’s not bad and has more functionality- but if you’re expecting mac style abilities then you will need to temper these expectations. You need to learn the ‘iPad way’ over expecting a traditional OS. Just fair warning!!

RecentlyConverted

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 21, 2015
Hi,

Reviews - https://www.stratospherix.com/products/filebrowser/reviews/. Though just check out the reviews on the App Store.

Go through their website to see links to reviews by tech websites, or just do a web search.

Slitted

macrumors newbie
Dec 8, 2014
Be aware- it doesn’t turn files into finder! It’s not bad and has more functionality- but if you’re expecting mac style abilities then you will need to temper these expectations. You need to learn the ‘iPad way’ over expecting a traditional OS. Just fair warning!!
I'm guessing you mean contents of the app don't get indexed by Spotlight/Finder? If so, that's disappointing but not unexpected. I was hoping to ditch Google Backup&Sync for my Workspace items, since Google Drive for Desktop (fka File Stream) is still a big WIP on M1.

FileBrowser is tremendous on iOS/iPadOS though. Only had one disappointing experience when the "in-place" office file editing broke down (for files on Google Drive).

cupcakes2000

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2010
I'm guessing you mean contents of the app don't get indexed by Spotlight/Finder? If so, that's disappointing but not unexpected. I was hoping to ditch Google Backup&Sync for my Workspace items, since Google Drive for Desktop (fka File Stream) is still a big WIP on M1.

FileBrowser is tremendous on iOS/iPadOS though. Only had one disappointing experience when the "in-place" office file editing broke down (for files on Google Drive).
Sorry, no. I was referring to the iPad version. It’s an awesome app, that’s for sure, but I meant that it doesn’t turn files into finder.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.