Filed an enhancement request for Water Unlock

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by MrGimper, Mar 1, 2017.

1. MrGimper macrumors 601

MrGimper

May only be of interest to me, but if you're interested I filed an enhancement request to change the action required to disengage the water lock.

Getting fed up that's it too easy to disengage as it only requires the crown to be turned. Keeps disengaging when I wash the watch etc. Strange considering Apple encourage you to clean the crown under running water.

I've suggested that the action is more "deliberate", i.e. hold the side button and turn the crown or press the crown whilst turning it, or "something" a bit more deliberate/intentional.

If you're a Dev and agree, may be worth filing something similar.

2. cbronfman macrumors 6502

Please NO. When I've finished my swim workout - I lose a minute taking off goggles, web gloves before I can turn the digital drown to save the workout. If I have to do anything more elaborate to unlock, it's going to add more than minute to my workout and the last laps, HB, and exercise time calculations. I think turning the digital crown is manageable - trying to hold in the side button too - is too much.

3. Bob190 macrumors 6502

It really isn't necessary to use the water lock when washing it. All it does is lock the touch screen so it isn't activated by the water touching it .. the water doesn't cause any harm regardless.

I will usually lock/unlock it after I am done washing it just to expel the water from the speaker. Washing the watch or swimming with it for that matter with the screen unlocked has no impact on the water resistance.

4. hotsauce macrumors 6502a

I'm new to the Apple Watch. Are you certain about that? Is there anything (link) about it from Apple?

5. abdulkar.im macrumors 65816

abdulkar.im

Yeah, the lock just stops the screen from being activated by the water movement while swimming etc... It doesn't close any ports etc with little sliding doors.

6. Bob190 macrumors 6502

This is from Apple's website .. locking the screen isn't relative to the water resistance rating, it just disables the touch screen as abdulkar.im mentioned and it gives a mechanism to clear the speaker port of water:

Apple Watch Series 2
    When you start a swimming workout, your Apple Watch automatically locks the screen with Water Lock to avoid accidental taps. When you're done, turn the Digital Crown to unlock the screen and clear any water from your Apple Watch. You hear sounds and may feel some water on your wrist.

To manually clear water from Apple Watch, swipe up on the bottom of the watch face to open Control Center, tap Water Lock, then turn the Digital Crown to unlock the screen and clear water from the speaker.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT205000

7. hotsauce macrumors 6502a

Thanks. I'm not gonna lie. I pictured a little sliding door lol

8. abdulkar.im macrumors 65816

abdulkar.im

Hahahahaha! That'd be awesome!

9. Arran macrumors 68040

Arran

Add in a submarine's "Dive, Dive, Dive" alarm and we'd be all set :D