Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bogart

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 31, 2008
Which is best ?

Main usage for me is carrying travel docs such as the google maps route search saved as pdf.

I search the route at home and usually print the docs on paper to take with me. I have a touch not phone and cannot rely on access to maps online exactly when and where when I need it. When I mail such pdfs and access them that way I find I can't get enough resolution for them to be useable.

andy

gillybean

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2008
Seattle, WA
I've been using Datacase, and screenshotting the output from google maps.

So for instance, if I want to go somewhere, I do:
1. Get the directions in google maps on my computer.
2. Take a screenshot of the browser window, save it as a PNG image using GIMP.
3. Transfer it to Datacase.

I (or my passenger) can then view it in Datacase as needed when driving. This seems to work because Datacase lets you zoom into images and doesn't resize them down to an unreadable form like the default iphone syncing does.

bogart

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 31, 2008
AARghh help DataCase

I watched the video on datacase and it looked so good I bought it. I just plugged in the touch (to put the app on) and I have a dialogue box on the screen that says "Mobile Sync: Syncing with "bogarts ipod": Processing.

It appears to be hung. The app is on the phone, not tried putting a file on it yet - but what process started this sync dialogue and how do I kill it ? I presumed that DataCase doesn't do a sync to a web service but only with the local machine - is that right or is it trying to sync with some remote service ?

andy/bogart

gillybean

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2008
Seattle, WA
I watched the video on datacase and it looked so good I bought it. I just plugged in the touch (to put the app on) and I have a dialogue box on the screen that says "Mobile Sync: Syncing with "bogarts ipod": Processing.

It appears to be hung. The app is on the phone, not tried putting a file on it yet - but what process started this sync dialogue and how do I kill it ? I presumed that DataCase doesn't do a sync to a web service but only with the local machine - is that right or is it trying to sync with some remote service ?

andy/bogart
I've never gotten a "Mobile Sync" message.

DataCase doesn't sync with any web services. I believe the idea is that if your iPhone is on the same network (e.g. router) as your computer, then they can talk to each other over the local network.

bogart

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 31, 2008
re Aargh help DataCase

@Plumbing..

Multiple threads on this ? Where, could you point me at one please ?

andy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.