Filemaker 10 - what's it for?!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by design-is, Jan 23, 2009.

1. design-is macrumors 65816

design-is

Hi all

I have been given the opportunity at work to use Filemaker 10 if I want to... but I can't for the life of think why I would.

Can anyone here give any suggestions?

I'm a graphic/web designer. Could I tie it in with a back-end database for websites? Should I use it to manage clients?

Thanks for any advice... I've read reviews and looked at the website, but they all focus on the improvements from the last version rather than what it should/can actually be used for!

Cheers

Doug :confused:

2. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

You could use it to keep a client list. You could use it to keep an inventory of your hardware, or your software licenses.

If you can think of something you can put in a database, you can do it in FM.

3. design-is thread starter macrumors 65816

design-is

Thanks Sky Blue :)

But why would I bother? Does it have any benefits over just keeping the contacts in my address book?

Thanks

4. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Filemaker can be used for virtually anything. Our local duo of opthamologists made their own in-house program for dealing with all aspects of patient files and billings. It's very extensive, and they can just add fields whenever they need to to meet the needs of a particular case.

FileMaker is a very fluid system, and can be whatever you want it to be.

Except maybe a game, unless you think something of this nature is crazy fun.

5. exegete77 macrumors 6502a

6. design-is thread starter macrumors 65816

design-is

Thanks for all the advice guys :)

Can always count on MacRumors for a helping hand!