Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

FileMaker Pro 12 Adds New 'Starter Solutions' and Broadens iOS Integration

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple subsidiary FileMaker today announced the launch of its new lineup of FileMaker 12 database applications, launching new themes and "Starter Solutions" to help users get up and running, as well as significantly enhancing integration with iOS devices.
"Databases only boost productivity if people genuinely enjoy using them," said Ryan Rosenberg, vice president, marketing and services, FileMaker, Inc. "Everyone wants a great database, but not everyone is a great designer. Let FileMaker 12 handle the design and you'll create dazzling databases that are incredibly easy to use, on iPad, iPhone, desktop and the web."

Among the key new features in FileMaker 12:

- Over 40 new themes specifically designed to translate among desktop, iPad, and iPhone. New tools help users customize the default themes to create their own unique database documents.

- Sixteen rebuilt Starter Solutions provide templates upon which users can build their databases depending on the type of data being stored. As with themes, the templates can be easily customized to suit users' needs.

- Enhanced container fields for storing files within databases, improving performance and ease of use.

- Quick Charts for streamlining the process of creating new charts based off of database entries.

- Significantly enhanced iOS compatibility with free new FileMaker Go apps for iPad [App Store] and iPhone [App Store]. The new apps are compatible only with Filemaker 12, and the company continues to offer the $39.99/$19.99 FileMaker Go 11 apps for use with earlier versions of the software.

Pricing for FileMaker 12 on the desktop remains the same as in the previous version, with FileMaker Pro 12 priced at $299 for new users and $179 for upgrade users and FileMaker Pro 12 Advanced checking in at $499 and $299 respectively. The basic FileMaker Server 12 is priced at $999/$599, while FileMaker Server 12 Advanced carries a price tag of $2,999/$1,799. All versions are available today.

Article Link: FileMaker Pro 12 Adds New 'Starter Solutions' and Broadens iOS Integration

deannnnn

macrumors 68020
Jun 4, 2007
New York City & South Florida
I generally dislike themes in creative applications like iMovie and Pages/Word because then everybody's supposedly creative movies and documents all end up looking exactly the same. In a database application, however, I think themes are great. Who cares if the databases across multiple organizations look the same if they're allowing for easier use for accessing the data you're trying to organize.

Comment

japanime

macrumors 68020
Feb 27, 2006
Japan
I couldn't do my job without Filemaker. And I've always found it to be rock-solid, going all the way back to the first version I used (FM4). Would love to be able to move some of my Filemaker solutions to the iPad, but I heavily rely on customized scripts. Looking forward to seeing whether those are supported.

Speaking of Filemaker on mobile devices — anyone remember Filemaker Mobile for the Palm OS? That one left a bit to be desired!

Comment

pdjudd

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2007
Plymouth, MN
wish I got to use this instead of MS Access:mad:
I doubt it's going to happen - Microsoft Access is tied to Jet - itself tied to Windows core systems. Even if MS wanted to port Access, I doubt it would work 100% - something necessary with databases. Of course I don't think MS is interested since their big database push is with SQL.

Comment

charlieegan3

macrumors 68020
Feb 16, 2012
U.K
I doubt it's going to happen - Microsoft Access is tied to Jet - itself tied to Windows core systems. Even if MS wanted to port Access, I doubt it would work 100% - something necessary with databases. Of course I don't think MS is interested since their big database push is with SQL.

ohh don't worry, it won't happen, i'm just putting a word in for those of us who are stuck with it!

Comment

Truffy

macrumors 6502a
I generally dislike themes in creative applications like iMovie and Pages/Word because then everybody's supposedly creative movies and documents all end up looking exactly the same. In a database application, however, I think themes are great. Who cares if the databases across multiple organizations look the same if they're allowing for easier use for accessing the data you're trying to organize.
I agree. In this case, familiarity begets usability.

Unfortunately, I need to develop web-based database apps that run on 'nix. I can't see FM Server being rolled out on our host.

Comment

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
I couldn't do my job without Filemaker. And I've always found it to be rock-solid, going all the way back to the first version I used (FM4). Would love to be able to move some of my Filemaker solutions to the iPad, but I heavily rely on customized scripts. Looking forward to seeing whether those are supported.

Speaking of Filemaker on mobile devices — anyone remember Filemaker Mobile for the Palm OS? That one left a bit to be desired!

Yup, and I still have that box on my shelf. Never did get any mileage out if it. Collector's item?

I go back to FileMaker Plus days including some developer editions, but have not upgraded for some time as I am no longer developing and my needs aren't that sophisticated. I've been hoping for an iWork database module based on a stripped-down version of FileMaker, but I doubt that's coming.

Comment

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
Yup, and I still have that box on my shelf. Never did get any mileage out if it. Collector's item?

I go back to FileMaker Plus days including some developer editions, but have not upgraded for some time as I am no longer developing and my needs aren't that sophisticated. I've been hoping for an iWork database module based on a stripped-down version of FileMaker, but I doubt that's coming.

Bento?

Comment

lowonthe456

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2007
People I work with can do NOTHING without Excel. Its a running joke.

My question is: do I need File Maker?

I guess I wonder what a regular schmo like me would do with it to make life easier.

:confused:

Comment

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville

I should have included my opinion of Bento in my first post: it sucks. I have very simple database needs, and Bento isn't even up to that task. I'd be happy with a modernized flat-file version of FileMaker if the price was right.

Comment

EmpyreanUK

macrumors regular
Mar 6, 2011
I'm half on the market for a lightweight database application, and it seems that on OS X this is the best there is short of running a MySQL and PHP server (which I don't really want to do on my home computer). I've considered Bento, but I've read somewhere that it isn't capable of performing JOINs... is that true?

Comment

doctor-don

macrumors 68000
Dec 26, 2008
Georgia USA

It would have been nice for iWork to include a database module from the get-go. I have databases set up from my AppleWorks that cannot be used in anything else. I could not justify paying for the FileMaker application; it's just too expensive, and then I would have to re-enter everything in a new database. Besides, AppleWorks won't work in newer OSs above Leopard since it is PPC and it's not supported since about 5 years ago.

And I miss being able to create web pages in ClarisWorks, although that's not something I am involved in doing today. It was just for fun.

----------

No app store version for $ 4.99?

A couple of days ago I was searching for a GPS / navigation app for my new iPad, and what I found costs $39.99 and MORE. I suppose the developers are trying to recoup their investment of time and sweat in a short time - and before the next update comes along from them at $19.99+.

Comment

BWhaler

macrumors 68040
Jan 8, 2003
The biggest limitation I found in the previous version of FM Go was there was no support for gestures. It made using FM on iOS devices feel like an old windows app.

Swipe, swipe, swipe. No results. "Oh, where is the arrow key for me to click to get to the next record?"

I hope they added support for this. Even simple support such as next/previous record based on left or right swipe. But after reviewing the release notes, it doesn't look like it's available. Bummer...

Comment

NAG

macrumors 68030
Aug 6, 2003
/usr/local/apps/nag
Ugh, file format transition is going to be a major pain. At least they're supposedly finally getting things like smart guides so you don't have to go in an use position coordinates to make sure every field is following a line.

I'm half on the market for a lightweight database application, and it seems that on OS X this is the best there is short of running a MySQL and PHP server (which I don't really want to do on my home computer). I've considered Bento, but I've read somewhere that it isn't capable of performing JOINs... is that true?

Bento is great for creating rather static databases (like duplicating the Addressbook database for some weird reason or creating a cooking recipe database instead of using one of the many apps or a database for your books instead of using Delicious Library...I really have no idea why Bento exists). If you want to do anything with the data go somewhere else (AppleWorks database is more powerful).

Comment

japanime

macrumors 68020
Feb 27, 2006
Japan
I've hit a brick wall so many times with Bento I'm tempted to just pay up and get the real FileMaker.

You may want to consider getting a previous version of FileMaker. Amazon Marketplace usually has some great deals — it's often possible to pick up a version that's only a year or two old for less than $50.

Comment

NAG

macrumors 68030
Aug 6, 2003
/usr/local/apps/nag
You may want to consider getting a previous version. Amazon Marketplace usually has some great deals — it's often possible to pick up a version that's only a year or two old for less than $50.

Actually, a beginner may benefit from the new features of 12 since it makes design less like a System 7 experience, supposedly (that and the free iOS version is only compatible with 12).

Comment

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
I should have included my opinion of Bento in my first post: it sucks. I have very simple database needs, and Bento isn't even up to that task. I'd be happy with a modernized flat-file version of FileMaker if the price was right.
I hear that a lot, so your answer doesn't surprise me. I have one family member that uses Filemaker, Bento was far from enough for her.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.