Filemaker Pro, iPad and MobileMe

Discussion in 'iPad' started by KellyMac, Feb 5, 2011.

1. KellyMac macrumors newbie

I maintain a FileMaker database for a small shop. I've been hauling my laptop into work to update the database, etc. I now have an iPad and have seen that FileMaker Pro offers an app that will allow me to update the database from my iPad. However I also have MobileMe. Could I achieve the same functionality by simply placing my FileMaker software and database in 'The Cloud'?

Apologies if this is a slightly stupid question. I'm still getting to grips with how MobileMe works and what it can/can't do.

All thoughts and advice most gratefully received.

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

The Filemaker software needs a computer to run so just placing the application on the "cloud" does nothing for you. The iPad cannot run osx software so you need to get the iPad app

3. platypus63 macrumors regular

You can also VPN into the office network and connect to Filemaker that way, so you don't need to carry anything at all. I haven't used the iPad Pp but have used the iPhone app. It is great for accessing the database to look things up or do some data entering. What do you mean by "updating" the database? Entering info or changing the database, UI, scripts, etc?