Filename Compatibility XP/OSX program?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by whyrichard, Nov 27, 2009.

1. whyrichard macrumors 68000

Hello,

I am primarily on macs, but i have bootcamp on my main computer and I need to make sure my working files are completely windows compatible... that includes their file names...!

Is there a program that i can use that will scan a bunch of files, bring up file names that are not compatible with windows xp pro, and give me the opportunity to change them?

thanks,

r.

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

You should be a little clearer about what you mean by compatible. You can ensure that your filenames are compatible with the OS filesystems:
    • Do not use the ":" or "/" in filenames created on Windows.
    • Do you use the "\" to filenames created on the Mac.
    However, this will not get you all the way home. Certain applications impose limitations because they may have been written to old APIs or frameworks. Microsoft Office v.X comes readily to mind. The takeaway message is just because an filename is compatible with the OS in general doesn't mean that it is compatible with every specific application running on the OS.

3. whyrichard thread starter macrumors 68000

I am mainly concerned with the windows xp os being able to copy files to it using a service such as dropbox.

there are so many files... wondering if i could just search for them...

r.

4. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

It seems to me that your question does not properly address your needs. If you attempt to copy a file whose name includes forbidden characters, then the OS will automatically change the name to eliminate the forbidden characters. You will not lose any data.

5. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

There's a program called Mac2FAT that does exactly what you need.