Files and Settings on my Mac just dissappeared

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by snlee06, Jul 22, 2009.

1. snlee06 macrumors newbie

I am currently using the Mac OS X 10.4.11. I've been using the computer without any problems for the past 2-3 years. Just yesterday, when I turned my computer on, many of my files which were once on my desktop has disappeared. The odd thing is, when I look at the amount of HD space available, the correct amount of space is still available. If i use the finder, I am unable to find any of the files which have 'disappeared'. All my bookmarks have also disappeared. In addition, I had previously set specific preferences for my trackpad (for example, i could use two fingers to double click) but those preferences seemed to have been reverted back to the original settings and I had to manually change the settings myself. Anyone have any idea what's going on? Is there anyway I can recover the files which had disappeared? I also checked to make sure that I wasn't logged in as another user. Thanks for your help and support.

2. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Did you rename your Home folder? Sounds like you did. Change the name back and restart.

3. snlee06 thread starter macrumors newbie

So all I have to do is change the name back to exactly what it was prior to changing it? Also, If i don't remember the exact name, is there any other way to recover my settings?