Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

matjamca

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 2, 2013
St Helens, Merseyside, England
Can anyone tell me where files go when you download them to the iPad within the files app?

I have downloaded some video files so they no longer show the iCloud icon, but how do I clear the download when I no longer need it?

According to the iPad Storage section of the General settings menu, iOS 11 considers the files as system files, but again, I can’t see anyway to clear them from the iPad. The files are videos stored on iCloud Drive, they are not system files. Confused. :confused::confused::confused:

Last edited:

jesterengland

macrumors newbie
Mar 3, 2010
I have the same issue. I can’t believe this wasn’t thought of! If I try and delete an offline file it deletes it from iCloud too. How can you free up space???

matjamca

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 2, 2013
St Helens, Merseyside, England
When Apple demonstrated the Files app there was a folder showing ‘On My iPad’ and ‘On My iPhone’ but these folders aren’t showing for me.

Presumably they go in there so you can delete them from the device when necessary.

Can anyone with superior knowledge of the Files App please help?

Ritsuka

Cancelled
Sep 3, 2006
iOS will remove the local copies you downloaded automatically when the OS or another app will need more disk space.

Feenician

macrumors 603
Jun 13, 2016
When Apple demonstrated the Files app there was a folder showing ‘On My iPad’ and ‘On My iPhone’ but these folders aren’t showing for me.

Presumably they go in there so you can delete them from the device when necessary.

Can anyone with superior knowledge of the Files App please help?

They only show up if apps have created folders and added content to those folders. I'm guessing (correct me if I'm wrong and I'll try to help) that you're looking for general local storage where you can create your own folders and move arbitrary files though. These areas don't do that. You can use an app like Documents by Readle to do that (there may be others now and there definitely will be soon).

Basically, as apps are updated they will move their sandbox in there so gut can freely access them but it's not a user area per se.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.