Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Alameda

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 22, 2012
I have an iPad Pro 11”, latest model, with the lates OS (17.4.1). The Files application does not work.

I bought this thing so that I could manage the digital photos I take in the field, but copying 20 GB of photos from a memory card to an external drive is a nightmare. I’ve gotten it to work, but only after seeing the drive drop off, file copies stopping halfway through, and the Files app freezing. But even something really simple, like downloading a few 20MB files from my remote server to the iPad, and moving them from the Downloads Folder to “on my iPad” or into a folder, causes the Files app to freeze.

I tested the peripheral devices on my MacBook… zero problems. Same cables and everything. Tried without the hub, attaching only the SSD drive… same problems. It’s unbelievably bad. This also occurs without any devices attached, just trying to move files internally.

What’s with Apple? The most fundamental part of an operating system is DISK OPERATING SYSTEM. Copying files should be, truly, the easiest aspect of any Unix-based system. This can’t be only me.. Anyone have any ideas what’s going on or what I need to do to make the simplest thing in the world work on my iPad? Thanks in advance!

keenkreations

macrumors regular
May 20, 2005
I am having a similar problem. Oddly enough I found this thread cause I was searching about this issue.
I never had issues with this before, but noticed it recently. I am assuming the latest update borked something, but my documentation is lacking so I can only assume.
By force restarting the iPad, I can get it to work for a short while. But I will still have the same blank screen.
Related to this issue, probably

Last edited:
Reactions: Alameda
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.