Files are not being removed in Aperture 3

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by mikeheenan, Oct 12, 2010.

1. mikeheenan macrumors 6502

I am having trouble with Aperture 3. I was using picasa before, and have all my photos in the Pictures folder sorted by year and date taken. I installed Aperture and imported the folders as projects, and clicked Move instead of copy (I think). When I selected a photo I wanted to delete, and went to File-Delete Master Image and Versions, and deleted the file and emptied the Aperture trash, the file was still on my Hard drive in the pictures folder. What do I need to do to permanently remove a picture or video in Aperture?

2. fcortese macrumors demi-god

fcortese

Have you completely emptied the Trash (on the dock)? I believe the pictures will still be on your computer until that final step.

3. mikeheenan thread starter macrumors 6502

I did empty the trash on the dock after I emptied the trash within Aperture, but the file was still in my Pictures folder. I wonder if I imported them into Aperture wrong?

4. fcortese macrumors demi-god

fcortese

Did you import them to the Aperture Library (managed) or to a different folder/site on your HD (referenced)? If it went to the Aperture Library, by deleting your Aperture Trash and then your Dock trash that should do the trick I would think. If the file is hiding somewhere else on your HD then you may need to try to locate it to finally delete it. I don't now if this helps or makes thing more confusing.

5. Designer Dale macrumors 68040

Designer Dale

Pick one of these mystery files and do a Spotlight search on that file name. Check the path and see where they are living. This should help. I hope.

Dale

6. mikeheenan thread starter macrumors 6502

Ok I think I figured out what's up... I select a photo, go to File, select Delete Master Image and All Versions, and that moves it to the Aperture trash. When I right clicked on the Trash icon to empty it, it prompts with the "this will permanently delete it" prompt, but there's also a box you can select that says Move this file to the System trash. When this box is not selected, and you empty the aperture trash, the file actually stays in the Pictures folder, but when you select it and then move to the System trash and then empty that, it's finally removed. Weird.

7. fcortese macrumors demi-god

fcortese

thanks. it's nice to know. glad it was finally figured out.