Files associated to app using custom icon do not show the icon

Discussion in 'macOS' started by freiheit, Sep 7, 2015.

1. freiheit macrumors 6502a

I am a user of VLC for playing video files. On the Mac VLC does not (out of the box) support multiple concurrent instances. But I found an article (https://wiki.videolan.org/How_to_play_multiple_instances_of_VLC/) which gives an Applescript to allow this to work. I saved the script as an application, as the article recommends, and I associated file types (avi, mp4, wmv, mkv and so on) with this new application. I then opened Get Info on the new application and I dragged the normal VLC icon onto it to set a 'custom icon'.

The good news: double clicking an associated file type does launch this new application and I can have multiple VLC windows open at once playing different videos.

The bad news: even though the application itself shows the standard VLC icon, all the files and file types associated with the application show the generic OSX 'folded sheet of paper' icon. I have restarted my Mac, I have run Onyx to clear caches and nothing seems to work to change the icons shown for the files. Any advice?

EDIT: I am currently running OSX 10.10.5.

2. mipo macrumors newbie

Hi there,
    did you find the solution? I just installed ElCapitan on my new iMac and to my surprise my Final Cut pro Libraries icons do not show as libraries but as empty paper like icons. When i click for larger Icon size in Desktop view, then its all ok, only when Small Icon size is selected on the list view. Usually I would rebuild permissions . . .

3. freiheit thread starter macrumors 6502a

No, I never got it working right. Now I'm on El Capitan (10.11.1) and maybe I should go through the steps again, but it's not a big issue for me, more just an annoyance.