Files automatically renaming themselves to things like FULLM~20.MKV

Discussion in 'macOS' started by CharlesNguyen, May 30, 2010.

1. CharlesNguyen macrumors newbie

I've been having this problem for a while now on my iMac (OSX 10.6.3) where a file would just rename itself into something like "FULLM~20.MKV" after I rename a different file within the same folder.
    It's occurred in several folders and is really annoying because I don't know what the original filenames are and messes up my organization.
    I took note of some occurrences below. If I recall correctly, trying to fix the messed up filename sometimes works but it eventually gets messed up again. It's not limited to video files only, I've seen it happen to a jpg at least once.

Renaming
    "✘ Hetalia Axis Powers 33v2 [Webcast].mkv"
    to
    "✘ Hetalia Axis Powers 33 [Webcast].mkv"
    automatically renames
    "✘ Hetalia Axis Powers 37 [Webcast].mkv"
    to
    "_HETA~34.MKV"

Renaming
    "_HETA~34.MKV"
    to
    "✘ Hetalia Axis Powers 37 [Webcast].mkv"
    fails with error message
    "The name “✘ Hetalia Axis Powers 37 [Webcast].mkv” is already taken. Please choose a different name."

Renaming
    "FULLM~20.MKV"
    to
    "Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood 20.mkv"
    fails with error message
    "The name “Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood 20.mkv” is already taken. Please choose a different name."
    Everything changed back to normal after renaming a few other files within the same folder

Renaming
    "Oha Suta 20100331 [+, Koharu Kusumi].mp4"
    to
    "[+] Oha Suta 20100331 [Koharu Kusumi].mp4"
    automatically renames
    "Oha Suta 20090526 [Koharu Kusumi].mp4"
    to
    "OHASU~16.MP4"
    I undid that and added another file into the folder called "Ogawa Saki - Oha Star 100521.mp4" and renamed it to "✘ Oha Suta 20100521 [Saki Ogawa].mp4". Doing the same renaming thing above then worked fine.

:confused:
    The weirdly named files work fine though.

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Is this happening on an HFS+ drive? Or a FAT formatted drive?

3. CharlesNguyen thread starter macrumors newbie

FAT external drive (I am planning on formatting to HFS in the near future though in order to store 4GB+ files)

4. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Then that's your problem: it's an ancient format that only really supports short file names. There is a hack that MS implemented on top (and then everyone else who reads/writes FAT) to enable the illusion of long file names. For some reason you are seeing the real file names instead of the illusion.

5. CharlesNguyen thread starter macrumors newbie

6. kopo macrumors newbie

i have the same thing but on my macbook harddrive. any ideas?

7. daze macrumors 6502

daze

Only solution is to choose a different file format that truly supports long filenames without hackery... Which is HFS+ and many other Linux based file systems, but since you're on a Mac, HFS+ is the native way to go.