Files Delete Themselves Randomly on MBP running Lion

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by g0ldnchyid, Feb 17, 2012.

1. g0ldnchyid macrumors newbie

Hey all,

I'm running into an issue with a 2011 MBP with a solid state drive where pictures, documents, and even applications are randomly being wiped off of my machine. They don't appear in the trash either, they are just gone overnight. There appears to be no pattern to what gets erased and I've been to the genius bar 5 times, but they are still perplexed. We've tried erasing the drive and reinstalling the OS, the main logic board was replaced, and all hardware checked out ok with Apple...but the problem still persists. I only have two pieces of third party software installed (Firefox and Microsoft Office), so I doubt that there is a software conflict.

Anyone ever experience something like this or be willing to check out my log files?

Thanks,

Derek

2. ssmed macrumors 6502

ssmed

This sounds more like someone playing a stupid prank or a troll post. You would need to authenticate to delete an application in Lion.

3. g0ldnchyid thread starter macrumors newbie

Definitely not a troll post. Unfortunately this is actually happening to me. Apple genius bar employees have consistently told me "they've never seen anything like this before"

4. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

have you talk with anyone from the SSD manufacture? see if they ever heard of it?

doesnt sound normal at all

is it the same files always missing? is it possible your mac is doing a self restore to and old time machine constantly?

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

That's simply not realistically possible without some human intervention. My guess is you may be inadvertently deleting or moving something. You need to give more details, such as what, exactly is missing, how you determined it's missing, how exactly you've searched for it, etc.

6. g0ldnchyid thread starter macrumors newbie

I haven't talked to the SSD manufacturer, but that's worth a shot. It's not the same files consistently missing, and I actually back up manually and don't use time machine.

For what its worth, I also get random shut downs when I close the lid to the mac. Could there be some kind of power issue that is related?

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

A power issue wouldn't randomly delete anything. For the power issues, try resetting the SMC.