Files details preservation

Discussion in 'macOS' started by MacBH928, Mar 18, 2009.

1. MacBH928 macrumors 68020

MacBH928

Hello
    I really do not know how to explain this but I will try.
    I have files I have received over time on my flatpanel imac. You now guess its really old in computer years. I need to transfer these files onto an external hard drive and from then to my newer computer.

The problem is that I want to maintain the details in those files. You know how when you right click a pic or sound file and chose view options/details(I forgot what it is) then you get dated created, date modified, last opened, all this extra information? I really need to save this information specially date created. If I transfer them will the new date created be the date of transferring the files or will it maintain its original date?
    Is my problem clear?

is there a way to do those or I just have to save my current hard drive for decades in the future?

2. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

It was clear to me. I don't have a definitive answer as I'm not sure when it will decide to re-create the "date created" info. I know if you download a file, it will get a new date created, but generally when you are just copying files it should retain that information. Also, if you zip up files it will ensure that information is kept intact, even if the zip file was downloaded from somewhere.

The simple check though is take a couple files, make note of all its info and transfer the to a flash drive or the like and throw them on another computer and check the info again. I believe it'll be fine though.

3. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

When you copy your files over, the "Date Created" and "Date Modified" information will stay the same. The "Date Last Opened" information, however, will change to the date/time you copied over the file.

4. mcavjame macrumors 65816

mcavjame

Just tried a couple things on my system:
    - dragging a file between two internal drives did not change any info.
    - dragging a file from an internal to external drive changed the "date last opened" to today.
    - I deleted the test file from the internal drive. Dragging the file from the external back to an internal drive reverted the date last opened to the actual date it was last opened, not today.

5. MacBH928 thread starter macrumors 68020

MacBH928

Thanks every one for sharing your knowledge

So are you telling me if I zip them no matter what, the information will not change?
    and if I simply drag them to USB or an external drive, only "last opened" data will change?

does any one know what if i turned them into a .dmg file what will
    happen?