files disappeared from a folder

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by freehouse, Oct 10, 2007.

1. freehouse macrumors newbie

Hi guys, I was traying to rename some lynda.com video files in a regular folder on my desktop with a program called " a better file rename " at the end of the operation I got some files renamed and others completely disappeared, ( I guess I did something wrong..).

The problem is this: I cannot see some of the files in the folder anymore. When I open the info of the folder though I see that the size is still exactly the same as the original, which means that everything is still inside but I just cannot see it.!!!

Infact, I copied all the visible files in a different location leaving the folder completely empty, still when a open the info tells me that the size of the folder is 16GB.

thanks for your help.

2. Peace macrumors P6

Peace

Open Activity Monitor and look for the app or helper app that did that.
    Then quit it.Or force quit it.Sounds like the app is still running and holding those documents in edit mode.

3. freehouse thread starter macrumors newbie

I looked for it but I did not find it. The application is not running.
    I restarted the system but nothing happend!

4. bcpursel macrumors member

not sure if this is your problem, but i had some files "dispappear" when i was saving a document in photoshop. it was a lot of data from some of my clients...and hadn't been backed up!

anyway, it was a failing HD. i was getting a lot of spinning rainbows because the drive wasn't being recognized. i pulled the HD and took it to a local mac shop, and they recovered the files with data rescue.

5. freehouse thread starter macrumors newbie

I think my problem is different,

I unistalled that program " A Better finder rename" but still I am not able to see these files!!!!

It is so fanny because I copied this folder on my external HD G-tech, and I got another folder with 16GB in size and nothing in it.!!!

any idea?

6. the vj macrumors 6502a

a bug it seems.

I once lost a bunch of files just like that, the folder wasn't there any more, that was like a year ago.

7. freehouse thread starter macrumors newbie

I have solved the problem

I think is a bug anyway....

I used Data Rescue II, to scan the hard drive and bring those files back to my external G-tech.