Files disappeared within desktop folder

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by mdhallman, Jul 23, 2007.

1. mdhallman macrumors newbie

I went to open the primary folder I put many of my work documents in on my desktop and noticed the contents had all vanished. The folders (within the primary folder) had vanished (except for two) and all files were gone (except for one testbank software application). The files and folders were nowhere to be found in Spotlight, the trash, or anywhere else I could think of. The only unique thing I've done in the past few days has been to link up my wife's new iPhone. I did switch users (from my wife's to mine) while the phone was plugged in and it started to try to sync with my account, but I simply cancelled it.

I talked with the Apple help line but they were unable to resolve the issue (the person I was talking to wasn't aware of what an iPhone was (overseas call), so the syncing issue couldn't be addressed - disappointing).

Any thoughts or suggestions? Thanks

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

How much free space do you have on your drive? Have you checked both accounts for these files? :)

3. mdhallman thread starter macrumors newbie

Space isn't an issue

I've got 193 GB available on my account, and my wife's has even more available.

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Okay, has your machine been acting strangely in any other sense? Bad RAM can sometimes result in data loss, but it usually exhibits itself in other ways first, such as erratic behaviour and freezing. :)

5. mdhallman thread starter macrumors newbie

Everything Is Normal

The machine has been running great. This is the only hiccup I've encountered. I'm a bit suspicious of the iPhone sync, but don't know nearly enough about the process. I did notice that the only file left was locked while the others were not.

6. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I doubt it was the iPhone sync, but could be wrong. I haven't heard of a device sync causing this sort of specific data loss before. Is there any chance someone else has used your machine and deleted the files without your knowing? That fits with the fact the locked file wasn't removed. Use the demo of DataRescue II to see if it can see your files a deleted. :)