Files disappearing! *Need help*

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by MacNoobGuy, Sep 30, 2013.

1. MacNoobGuy, Sep 30, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2013

MacNoobGuy macrumors 6502

Hi all, I just had a really weird problem a few minutes ago. I mounted my Truecrypt container because I do all my work within Truecrypt. Once I had mounted the Truecrypt partition I could see all of the folders and files in Finder, but when I clicked on folders there was nothing inside the folders! Earlier I had opened an OpenOffice .doc file and I was still able to work in the file itself. I tried dismounting the Truecrypt partition multiple times and re-mounting, but the problem didn't resolve itself.

I then tried to reboot my Mac Mini and it got stuck on the grey screen. I then rebooted my Mac by holding the power switch and it rebooted and I was able to access my files like normal. I have a feeling the problem was with the 'Finder'.

What does this all mean? Does it mean my HDD is about to die?

Thank you!

Edit: If my HDD is about to die is there any way I check its health? I've been using this Mac Mini as my main system since May 2012 and I've never defragged it.

2. old-wiz macrumors G3

I hope you have backups, preferably multiple backups, since it sounds as if your HDD is going south slowly and horribly.

3. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

That does kind of sound like a drive on the way to a dirt nap. :eek:

A defrag is not needed and won't help. Start up Disk Utility from /Applications/Utilities and select the drive and do a "verify disk" and tell us what if any errors come up.

4. MacNoobGuy thread starter macrumors 6502

Alright, thanks!

5. chown33 macrumors 604

The symptoms described are characteristic of file-system integrity errors. That is, a "Verify Disk" in Disk Utility.app will likely show multiple errors. This is what happens when you keep using a disk that has integrity errors: the errors propagate and get worse.

See your other thread for precautions and possible corrective actions. However, it may be too late to save your data.

6. MacNoobGuy thread starter macrumors 6502

I ran 'Verify Disk' and it said there were no errors!