Files do not stay organized!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MBPCAG, Feb 10, 2013.

1. MBPCAG macrumors newbie

I always order my files in a folder by name when they are all scattered and that brings them together in an organized fashion. After exiting the folder and going back to it by folders are scattered again and I have to arrange them again and again and again I do not know how to make this permanent. I've had my MacBook Pro for 5 years and this is new. Is there a setting in Lion that I have to change? I haven't changed any settings. Please let me know if you need more information.

2. Ledgem macrumors 65816

Ledgem

Are you using software like Totalfinder, Xtrafinder, or Pathfinder, by any chance?

3. MBPCAG thread starter macrumors newbie

Nope, no tools. The only applications besides the stock ones that are installed are Loginox, Epson software (printer), and microsoft office 2008. I've taken care of my MacBook Pro and am also experiencing another problem that I have posted in a different thread.

4. dastinger macrumors 6502a

dastinger

I have this exact same problem and I use TotalFinder. Is that the issue? Or is it an option I have to set under TotalFinder settings?

5. Ledgem macrumors 65816

Ledgem

I may have missed this originally - are you manually rearranging your files? Have you tried closing all Finder windows, opening a new window, then from the dropdown menu choosing View > Arrange by > Name? That should set the organization for the majority of your folders. Some folders seem to remember unique organization settings; if a folder seems to ignore the setting, make sure that you have arrange by set to "Name" and not "None" for that particular folder.

If that doesn't help, then another thing to consider is that a program is adjusting settings. Do you have any programs that specifically access the folder that's giving you trouble?

I use Xtrafinder, so I can't give any direct guidance on Totalfinder. However, Xtrafinder has a number of file-reorganizing settings that go over Finder's settings. I'd check through the Totalfinder settings to see if anything looks out of place. There's no guarantee that it's the source of your trouble, though :)

6. simsaladimbamba

Which view do you use? Icon View (CMD+1), List View (CMD+2), Column View (CMD+3) or another one? It seems you use Icon View, thus the rearranging.
    If that is the case, why do you not use the List or Column View?

7. MBPCAG thread starter macrumors newbie

Very good tip thank you very much I will have to get used to this new look but its okay because I like the organization! thank you again for your help you're awesome! :)

----------

i tried your tips ledgem but it didnt work :-(

----------

everything is in cover flow mode now lol

8. forza69 macrumors 6502a

forza69

This is the only feature from Windows that I am missing. I HATE that my folders and pictures are sometimes overlapping each other and I have to keep manually fixing it over and over.

9. Ledgem macrumors 65816

Ledgem

Are you talking about the way that organizing by name causes folders to be listed alongside regular files, instead of being listed by themselves in alphabetical order followed by regular files? That bugs me, too. Xtrafinder (currently free) allows you to change that, so that folders are displayed first. Some program open/save dialogue boxes don't respect that ordering and will continue to list folders alongside files, but some do. More importantly, Finder does. I can highly recommend it.

10. dastinger macrumors 6502a

dastinger

Thanks a lot!