Files encoded for Appletv on a Popcorn hour media player?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by Tweeksy, Feb 13, 2009.

1. Tweeksy macrumors member

Have an ATV and thinking about using a Popcorn hour a100 box in another room (because you can attach a USB drive directly to it, rather than having to leave the PC on all the time!)

From the specs it would appear that the Popcorn hour will play virtually any format, so I am assuming it will play anything encoded in handbrake with the ATV old or new profile and with or without AC3 audio to?

Has anyone actually tried this, and did it work without any issues?

Thanks for any help!

2. roidy macrumors 6502a

Yep, I have a PH A100 and all my AppleTV encoded stuff from Handbrake works fine. Obviously the purchased DRM stuff from iTunes store wont play.

I use my PH more than my AppleTV because there are some great video jukeboxes that look better than the AppleTV`s long list of movie titles (come on Apple give us grid view for our movie collections).

3. Tweeksy thread starter macrumors member

Cheers Roidy, think I will be purchasing one then!

4. lali macrumors regular

Hello Roidy,

could you please mention which jukeboxes you enjoy using? Thanks

François

5. mastershakess macrumors 6502

Not to be a pain but why does leaving your computer on bug you?

6. roidy macrumors 6502a

I use YAMJ 1.0.15 + a heaverly modified version of the robinsjexcal skin for my movie collection, I still use my AppleTV for all my TV shows.

I just like to browse my movies using a grid view of the cover art, which unfortunately you carn`t do on the AppleTV, your just stuck with a list of titles. As soon as Apple give us the ability to browse out movies using a grid view I`ll go back to using my AppleTV for everything and sell the popcorn hour. Apple give us the grid view for browsing trailer and buying from the iTunes store but not for our own movie collections, which seems a bit daft to me.

7. Tweeksy thread starter macrumors member

Because it's a waste of power to leave it switched on 24/7 when I use my ATV every other day on average! Just seems daft when you compare it to having a USB drive that comes on when requested and will use less that half the power of the pc (with the same a USB drive attached to it) and also having to have the wireless router switched on (usually switch it on when needed). Couple that with the annoying disconnections that happen with iTunes, so would have to restart PC, and it makes this impractical. The 40GB drive in the ATV means I don't have to do this for music, but the Popcorn hour with a Tera USB drive or internal drive is far better than Apples solution.

The Popcorn hours design is far more logical, and Apple really should enable external drives to be attached to its USB port without the need for modification.

8. mastershakess macrumors 6502

So your telling me you turn the computer off every time your leave it and have to turn it back on when you come back to it?

9. Tweeksy thread starter macrumors member

Yup, cos I use it for about 4 hours every week, and don't need it to be switched on for the other 164 :) Only turn it on if it is doing something (like encoding) or I am web browsing or something, tend to do what I am doing and then shut it down.

Hence, for me at least, being able to plug a USB drive into my media player would make a lot of sense.

10. mastershakess macrumors 6502

Ok, well that makes sense. I use my iMac at least 4 hours a day so turning it off every time I leave it doesn't make sense for my situation.

I just think Boxee -> Hulu alone makes the ATV worth it.