Files from XP>Mac lacking "sufficient privledges"?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by romeboards, Aug 2, 2009.

1. romeboards macrumors newbie

Hey guys,

Im trying to move files from an external hard drive (Toshiba, 250 GB) that were originally on my Win XP computer. The external is formatted to NTFS, and I used MacFUSE so the Mac (15" Pro, Leopard 10.5.7) can recognize them. All the files are there and work properly if used from the hard drive, but when I try and copy them it tells me I do not have "sufficient privileges." I tried using Disk Utility but not options were availible for the hard drive (the buttons were dimmed). So is there any way I can strip the permissions from the files or something? I feel that there is probably a really simple answer to this...

Picture of the window that pops up: http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c109/dankass280/Picture1.png

Any help is greatly appreciated! I tried searching around but wasn't really sure if this was a Mac or PC issue....

2. romeboards thread starter macrumors newbie

any help please? I tried using BatChmod but that didnt seem to help much

3. Thedesolateone macrumors newbie

OS X can read, but cannot write, drives formatted in NTFS. In order to get round this you can either download free third party software (I suggest NTFS-3G http://www.ntfs-3g.org/) or copy to another drive and reformat with your mac to the FAT32 standard which macs love to read and write.

4. romeboards thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the response! Unfortunately I know NTFS is read only, but that still means you should be able to copy it, like I've done with other files from the external hard drive.

5. Thedesolateone macrumors newbie

You're right I misread your thing with my first post, I don't think I can answer your question sorry.

6. romeboards thread starter macrumors newbie

any other help please? Id really like to transfer all my files to this new mac...

7. belvdr macrumors 603

Do the following, in Terminal:

Code:
    cd /path/to/your/xp/files <substitute your path to the files>
    ls -la

My guess is the file permission don't allow you to read it. One option is to reconnect this to the XP machine and modify the permissions so everyone has access.