Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

adi.shoukat

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 5, 2010
I recently started having this problem. When I browse through different image/video files, some of the files get open with one click only. This is really very annoying. I am event thinking to migrate back to Windows because of this problem.

How to reproduce the issue:
-> Open a folder that contains many images/video files
-> Click on anyone of them to select it
-> Now click outside the window. So, the finder goes out of the focus (but should stay visible)
-> Now, inside finder click any other image/video just once, it will open up automatically with just single click

benwiggy

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2012
I can't reproduce this problem. That's not the behaviour that I get.
Are the files opening in Preview app and QuickTime Player, or is it the QuickLook preview window?

I am event thinking to migrate back to Windows because of this problem.
That's something of an over-reaction. Given that this is a problem that started recently, it should be fixable.

1. Have you installed any third-party software that is involved in mouse control, or other user interface actions? Or mouse drivers for a third-party mouse?
2. Does it only happen with images/video files? Does it happen with any others?

3. Have you rebooted?

4. Check the Mouse System Preferences. Perhaps the settings there are a bit extreme?

5. Create a brand new user account and test the problem there. If the problem does not occur, then you know the cause is inside your old user account (hint: it probably is). Therefore it's likely to be a corrupt cache or preference file in the original user account's hidden Library folder. You can get utility apps like Onyx which allow you to empty user caches and then reboot.
The user Library can be viewed by holding down <alt> and selecting the Go menu. The Library will be a menu item there. In the Preferences subfolder, you will find lots of files named like "com.apple.finder.plist". You my want to try deleting files like this one (and then relaunching the Finder) and similarly named files that might relate to mice, user interface etc.
Make sure you've got a backup so you can replace the files if they don't improve matters.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.