files not deleting from usb!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by chaos3, Sep 26, 2013.

1. chaos3 macrumors newbie

hi , plz i'm looking for an answer, i used my usb drive on a friend's laptop and told him to delete the files to free space... he did and the files are still there on the usb flash drive!

* are those pictures on the trash folder in his laptop?
    * if they are, can he access them and view them even without the flash drive plugged in? and restore them?
    * why can't i delete them?

the trash can was not emptied and it was a normal delete not a permenant one.

2. old-wiz macrumors G3

the space is not freed until you empty the trash.
    The trash folder is part of the drive, not the system.

If you mount an external drive (any kind) and delete a file, it gets set to the trash on that volume and the Mac icon for trash shows something there. If you then eject the volume, the mac trash icon shows empty. If you re-mount the drive, then trash shows something there again.

Is your friend's laptop a windows machine?

What's the format type of the usb drive?

3. chaos3 thread starter macrumors newbie

my friend's laptop is macbook pro, the format is FAT32 i think cuz i remember not being able to copy files over 4gb

so just to make sure, any files deleted from my usb is stored in the usb itself.. meaning my friend doesn't have any data deleted from the usb stored in his laptop correct?

4. jafingi macrumors 65816

jafingi

1) Delete the file in Finder
    2) Empty trash

The files are still on the USB untill you empty the trash. Just like your normal hard drive. No difference whatsoever.

5. chaos3 thread starter macrumors newbie

i know, it's just i don't have mac, and these files contained some private files.. so my question is, since i deleted the files while the usb is on my friend's macbook and removed the usb.. can he access those files ? are they in anyway stored in his laptop?

6. jafingi macrumors 65816

jafingi

No they're not. When "deleting" them, they're just made invisible until emptying the trash :)

7. chaos3 thread starter macrumors newbie

thank you both for your answers :D i guess it's a relief hearing that my files are safe even tho i didn't permenantly delete them, guess cuz i'm using windows is what got my freaked :D