Files not seen on external drive

Discussion in 'macOS' started by UNCMo96, Jan 9, 2015.

1. UNCMo96 macrumors member

I have a 3tb usb 3.0 wd my book drive formatted in ntfs. I have 2 macs: old imac (first alumium ones on 10.6.8) and a 15 inch mpb:r (first gen of the retinas).

There are one or two folders that on the imac appear empty but on the mpb you can see the contents. Whats interesting is that i have plex on the imac and it can see the contents (it locates, ids, plays, and streams the movies on the external drive). I didn't see any extra hidden files when I tried to show hidden files.

Any thoughts?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Try re-indexing your drive from the iMac: If that fails to index, enter the following command in Terminal:
    sudo mdutil -E /​

3. UNCMo96 thread starter macrumors member

4. Fishrrman macrumors G3

Suggestion:

If you value what's on the drive, and if its primary usage is to be with your Macs, I STRONGLY SUGGEST that you reinitialize the drive to HFS+, journaling enabled.

I've read of too many instances where someone was using a Mac with a "cross-formatted" (i.e., NOT HFS+) drive, and.... suddenly, the data on the drive just went.... "POOF!". Gone.

If you need a "cross-platform" storage device with which to share files with a PC, get a USB flashdrive that is dedicated to that purpose.

Use a Mac-formatted drive for Mac storage....