Files on a PC differ when brought to a Mac

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by silentscreams22, Jul 8, 2008.

1. silentscreams22 macrumors member

Hello!

I have some MPEG files that I got off my camcorder using the PC and transfered those files to my removal HDD. When these mpeg files are brought to the Mac instead of showing them as a mpeg file they show up as .MOD files and won't open in any program I have installed. I'm running OS Leopard.

Also I was wondering if there is a way to transfer the video files from my camcorder using my Mac. The installation disc that came with the camera didn't include anything to install on a mac it just has the stuff for PC's. My camcorder is a JVC Everio I'm not sure the exact model number but I can look it up if its needed.

Is there anyway to get these files to work on my Mac? I don't use my PC much except to cross check compatibly between browsers and such for web design.

2. mediaguru macrumors regular

What happens when you manually change the .mod extensions to .mpg? I have read that the .mod files are actually MPEG2 streams....

3. silentscreams22 thread starter macrumors member

It changes the icon to a Quicktime icon but then I click that and it gives an error message saying its not a valid movie file.

4. mediaguru macrumors regular

I would try the free ffmpegx app and see if it will convert them to a usable format.