Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dentifrice

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 27, 2008
Hi,

I bought my ipad couple days ago and enjoying it so far but I have a question....Am I totally crazy or files for each app are stored in the app directory ?

If I open a pdf in an application, I can't seem to find a way to open it in another.

Is there a way to have a centralized folder for my documents so that they are accessible from all apps ???

thank you

Last edited:

DNAppleGold

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2009
I've had my Ipad since day one. Love it and use it every day, but your question has brought up one of my few real points of frustration - the lack of single document management folder. Depending on the documents and app you are using there are some work-arounds, but they are more cumbersome than they should be. Here are two things that will help, but not solve your issue. I'd love to hear from others.
Manually adding documents
- Some applications allow you to manually add documents through Itunes. With your Ipad plugged in Click on the "Apps" tab.
Scroll down from the "Sync Apps" section to the "File Sharing" section.
Click on the app you want and drop your files in.
Synch
Dropbox
I have to admit to being a dropbox fan. It's so great to save a document at work into my dropox and then have it on my Iphone, Ipad, or any home computer without having to do anything else. Many (most) productivity apps allow you to easily import/export documents to/from dropbox. I try to use dropox as my main storage folder. However, guess what apps don't allow you transfer seamlessly from dropbox? That's right the Iwork suite. I now rarely use those utilities for this reason.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
I try to use dropox as my main storage folder. However, guess what apps don't allow you transfer seamlessly from dropbox? That's right the Iwork suite. I now rarely use those utilities for this reason.

http://dropdav.com/

Also, I got FileBrowser from the app store, so I can read and write files directly to and from my home network. Between that and Dropbox, I hardly miss not having a file system on my iPad anymore.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.