Files that were copied from Mac are not playable until copied to PC

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by dvzzz, Jun 18, 2009.

1. dvzzz macrumors newbie

Folks,
    I have a strange problem that I cannot solve. I have a couple of avi DiVX movies that I created for my son to watch but I have done them on Mac and if I copy them to the external HDD directly from Mac, my Popcorn Hour NMT A-110 does not play them until I simply copy the file to a PC hard drive and then back to that HDD. This drive HDD is NTFS and write to the drive via Paragon NTFS driver. I am curious what happens during a file copy from that hard drive to a PC and back that somehow unlocks the file and makes it playable. Any ideas? Is it a paragon driver?

Thansk,
    dvzzz

2. surflordca macrumors 6502a

surflordca

Try the program VLC for mac. It play almost everything.

3. i.shaun macrumors 6502a

i.shaun

that's kind of strange. .

Do they play in quicktime or any other media player?

4. dvzzz thread starter macrumors newbie

Guys, real problem is that the file plays fine on a Mac or PC it is when I try to play it from the HDD on the Popcorn Hour NMT box, before NMT can play it, file needs to be copied to PC and back... I know I have a complicated setup that is why I thought I turned to this forum for help. Any experts on permissions? What happens to the file when it is copied to a PC.

5. i.shaun macrumors 6502a

i.shaun

That's the strange part, I wasn't aware anything happened at all.

Hmm. . I've been thinking, and the only thing I can come up with is this:

When you "Get Info" on your external HDD from the Mac, is the "Ignore Ownership On this Volume" checked?

I was just thinking maybe the mac put some kind of permissions on the files, and when you hooked it to windows and copied it over -- it made a copy without permissions or ownership. Then it copied it back to the drive, which it ignores permissions on.

Of course this is pure speculation, I'm not sure how windows even handles it, but it's the only thing I can think of that might cause some kind of problem with the file.

In the event that you do have it checked to "ignore ownership" then I really don't have a clue.

I was also thinking maybe the NTFS driver for the mac didn't copy properly, but as you said it plays fine on both computers, and it even transfers to the PC and back again intact -- so there can't be anything missing from the file itself.

I'll keep thinking of any possible causes but this really is a strange thing that I never would have thought to encounter.

6. dvzzz thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi,
    I do not see a place where I can check this box, in fact I do not see a box like that. I am on most recent Leopard.

7. i.shaun macrumors 6502a

i.shaun

I'm on 10.4 Tiger, and when I "Get Info" on my External HDD, there is a check box at the very bottom past the "Details" header.

Ignoring Permissions is mainly to avoid file corruption with multiple users accessing files with their separate permissions. It's the best option for holding central iTunes or iPhoto libraries for multiple users.