Files transfer via Thunderbolt w/o Target Disk Mode

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by mobile23, Jul 15, 2012.

1. mobile23 macrumors member

mobile23

I understand that files can be transferred in between two thunderbolt equipped Macs when one of them is in Target Disk Mode. But could we use the thunderbolt cable for file transfer without getting into Target Disk Mode? Thanks

2. Lance-AR macrumors 6502

I don't think this is possible. Have you considered using AirDrop?

3. mobile23 thread starter macrumors member

mobile23

Thanks. I like AirDrop. But this is not what I need in this case.... I just got a new Air but it only has only 128Gb. I am thinking of getting a Mac mini to use it as a server for most of my files storage, mainly for my iTunes and Photo libraries. And I want to access those right off from the mini from my Air when I get home. So the mini will act as a external drive for the Air :p

4. jayhawk11 macrumors 6502a

jayhawk11

You're trying to fit a square peg in a round hole. If that's what you want to do, then get an NAS.

5. mobile23 thread starter macrumors member

mobile23

Thanks. If NAS is the only solution, i guess i will just go with an ethernet adopter for my Air then use file sharing on a mac mini :)

6. bjornte macrumors newbie

My need as well

This is exactly my scenario as well:
    «Getting a Mac mini to use it … for my iTunes and Photo libraries»

I thought of this use case as self evident, so I didn't even bother to check that it worked before purchasing the Mac Mini and the Thunderbolt cable.

It's really incredible for a company that makes both AirDrop software and Thunderbolt hardware and brags about their «magical seamlessness» that the two doesn't work together.