Files won't transfer over iChat

Discussion in 'macOS' started by nealf, Mar 10, 2009.

1. nealf macrumors newbie

I've just got a new Macbook. I'm trying to transfer some files from one computer to the next.

I get the box asking for me to accept and it looks like it's transfering the files. But nothing happens. It just does that forever with nothing being transferred.

Is there a setting I'm missing?

Also, is it possible to transfer folders? In the past I could only do single files at a time.

THanks.

2. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Wifi is slow.

Do it via ethernet network or harddrive.

If you don't know how, Apple store would transfer your files for free.

3. nealf thread starter macrumors newbie

I only want to do a few files once in a while. Not the whole hard drive. It always worked before from my old computer to another Mac on the Network. It's just a problem with the new macbook.

4. monokakata macrumors 68000

monokakata

Why are you using iChat? I must be missing something.

Do you just want to transfer files to another Mac on your network? If so, use Finder.

5. nealf thread starter macrumors newbie

I've always used iChat to just drag a file from one computer to another either in another location or through Bonjour in the same location.

You just drop the file onto the name of the person with the computer you want the file to go to. They accept it and it's done. Fast and easy.
    But with the new macbook it isn't happening. It looks like it is but never does it.

6. belvdr macrumors 601

You might try turning off the firewall, if it is on.

7. nealf thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm pretty sure the firewall was never turned on. But I'll check it tonight when I get to that computer.

Thanks.

8. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Do you have Perian installed?

Perian 1.1.3 interferes with video chatting portion of iChat. Perhaps it also interferes with other operations if you have it installed?

9. nealf thread starter macrumors newbie

Nope.

And it's working between my original two mac. One at the office and one at home. So I know it's something going on with the new macbook.