Files working on iPad & iPhone, but not Apple TV?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by nikwilliamson, Apr 20, 2011.

1. nikwilliamson macrumors newbie

Hi. I'm not sure if this is the right place for this, but here it goes.
    I have a 2nd generation Apple TV (4.2.1) that will only play about half of the videos in my iTunes (10.2.1) via airplay. The other half get to the screen where you see the progress bar, it stays at 0.00 and the loading thing constantly rotates. The apple TV isn't frozen, because I can still navigate via the remote. These same files that don't work with Home Sharing to the Apple TV share just fine to my iPad and iPhone 4. Any ideas what is up?

Here is the data from inspector in Quicktime of a non working file:
    [​IMG]

Here is the data from inspector in Quicktime of a working file:
    [​IMG]

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

2. roidy macrumors 65816

Quicktime Inspector doesn't give you anywhere near enough information to see why the file wont work. Use something like MediaInfo and then post the results.

Also your probably not going to get many responses when you show us you're blatantly torrenting movies:(

3. nikwilliamson thread starter macrumors newbie

I only download torrents for movies I am contemplating buying. I have a quite large collection I've spent over 1400 on. I just don't want to waste money on movies I don't like. Ideally I would rent them, but I recently have come into some money trouble.

The stuff from mediainfo is really long, and I'm not sure how I would post it. Is there a difference between what the Apple TV and iPad can play over homesharing?

[​IMG]

4. roidy macrumors 65816

Just quote the info in your post, it doesn't matter how long it is.

As far as I know there shouldn't be a difference.

By the way, nice collection of Blu-Rays.

5. nikwilliamson thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks. I'm quite proud of it. :)

Non-Working:
    Working:

6. roidy macrumors 65816

Both files seem to be encoded exactly the same and are both within ATV specs. Sorry I can't see any reason why one plays and not the other:(

7. McScooby macrumors 6502a

I put it down to a bug with the appletv. the proof is that although when you select the film via menu on the appletv, it will eventually play (give it 20mins or so) if you open the same file in itunes and select the output as appletv it plays flawlessly straight away, it did annoy me for a while til I figured this out!

8. nikwilliamson, Apr 20, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2011

nikwilliamson thread starter macrumors newbie

I have tried every possible combination numerous times, and it just doesn't work. :/ iTunes will say it's playing, but it just loads and loads, but never playing

9. jedipastor macrumors newbie

Nik, you're not alone, I've had the same problem on several files. Good news, MOST of the time I've been able to fix it by opening the files using Subler (great tool for meta tagging, if you don't have it search for and download it). Under the "file" menu, select, "optimize". It may take a few minutes to rewrite the entire file, but 90% of the time that fixes whatever hang up ATV has and it'll play.

10. McScooby macrumors 6502a

Here's the 2 workarounds...

"Either, disable Dolby Digital in your apple tv settings or play movie, press down arrow to bring up bar, right click now until the end of the movie. go back to menu and select movie again. it should play, if not repeat process, it will play eventually, its normally just a timing thing"

11. papo2 macrumors member

Based off of this media info, can someone please help me generate the HanbrakeCLI arguments, so I get the same results. I would like to start encoding my Blu-Ray collection with these same settings.

Great quality, with a great file size.

12. spacepower7 macrumors 68000

Get the free version of identify and retag the file with optimize in set to on in the preferences. Subler will also work. So will the paid version of identify and iFlicks.

Your most likely problem here is that the filenhad metadata written to it but it was not optimized. This means that some metadata is written at the beginning ofnthe file and some metadata isnwritten at the end of the file. This cause the AppleTV to load the whole video file before it can start playback.

Also any of the tagging apps will get rid of that HolyRoses info in the file.

13. Nathan21585 macrumors member

Thanks I was having the same problem and it was only movies I put through Subler.