FileShare between Mac and Windows 7

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by darkpixie08, Jun 14, 2011.

1. darkpixie08 macrumors member

I have a mac mini running 10.3.9 and a windows 7 computer that I would like to fileshare between. They are both on the same wireless network, but can not seem to connect between the two of them (I can't even see the mac on the windows computer). I have gone to system preferences on the Mac Mini and turned on file sharing. Is there some other step that I'm missing? This really should not be that difficult, right? If someone could walk me through this like I'm five years old, I'd really appreciate it.

2. Peteman100 macrumors 6502

3. jamietshaw macrumors member

Select File Sharing again, and click on the Options button that appears to the right. You need to turn on SMB sharing for it to work with Windows.
    (There are various protocols for connecting to other computers. Macs can use AFP and SMB; Windows only SMB)

4. darkpixie08 thread starter macrumors member

Unfortunately that is not doing the trick, as I already had that selected. Any other suggestions out there (apart from throwing my husbands PC out the window!!)?

5. JediMeister macrumors 68040

Is there no way to upgrade the 10.3.9 system to 10.4 or 10.5?

6. darkpixie08 thread starter macrumors member

I suppose I could, but spending $100 on a new operating system just to get my computer to network to another seems rather silly. I would sincerely hope Panther would be able to network to a PC.

7. wpotere Guest

OK, if you are expecting it to automatically show up, it won't.

Which direction are you trying to share (mac folder or Windows folder)?

8. darkpixie08 thread starter macrumors member

I would like to access files stored on the mini from the windows computer please.

9. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

Just get the PC's IP address and command+K it, type in the IP address, and you're good to go. Conversely, get the Mini's IP address, Windows+R it, and type in the IP. There's no good way to share files between OS X and Windows, even between Windows 7 and Snow Leopard. Upgrading the OS won't do you any good, just slow down the mini.

P.S. I still use the same mini as a jukebox in my basement, it's wonderful!

10. darkpixie08 thread starter macrumors member

Thank you, I'll go ahead and give that a try once my husband finishes up his Starcraft-ing for the evening!

I'm glad to here the mini is working for you. We use ours primarily for a media server, and stream to a couple AppletTVs in the house, and I absolutely love it.

11. darkpixie08, Jun 16, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2011

darkpixie08 thread starter macrumors member

Ok, on the PC I did the shortcut windows+R, and it brought me to the run command, I then typed in the mac's IP address and nothing. Same problem with the Mac side. Any other possible solutions?

12. darkpixie08 thread starter macrumors member

Do I need to add this mac to the homegroup on the windows PC? If so, how do I do that?

13. wpotere Guest

14. darkpixie08 thread starter macrumors member

Sorry guys mapping the network drive didn't do the trick either. I pressed map network drive, selected a drive letter, typed in \\ip address\ and I get an error message that says "Windows can not access \\ip address" I also tried using the computer name instead of the IP address. I also tried clicking on the option to connect using different credentials and punched in my mac account name and password on there. Nothing.

15. darkpixie08 thread starter macrumors member

File sharing with a PC... again

Ok, I've upgraded to 10.5.8, and it still isn't working.

They are on the same wireless network

From the Mac side:
    I've made sure all the folders are shared both read and write
    SMB is enabled
    Disabled the Firewall

From the PC side I've
    Tried mapping the network;
    Tried running a command and then inputting the ip address
    Enabled network discovery
    Disabled the firewall

Where do I go from here. This is ridiculous, and calls to both microsoft and apple support blame the other side/won't help because it's not part of their customer support. Bah.

16. wpotere Guest

Wait, you typed "\\the_ip\" and that was it? That won't work either....

You have to type "\\the_ip\the name of the folder" without the quotes. So, it would be the IP address of the mac and then the folder name that you are sharing via SMB.

Here is an example.

http://lifehacker.com/247541/how-to-access-a-macs-files-on-your-pc

17. darkpixie08, Jun 16, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2011

darkpixie08 thread starter macrumors member

Thank you for the example. I was doing it wrong, but now that I'm doing it correctly, I am having no more success. I don't get an error message, but windows explorer never pops up.

ETA: I can now see the pc and access it from my macs, but I need to be able to do things from the PC side.

18. wpotere Guest

Did you see the comment at the very bottom of that page about the workgroup?
    Check that and then also check your firewalls on each machine. You might want to disable them temporarily (if you are behind a router) to see if that is what is causing the problem.