Filesystem verify or repair failed?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Kpasapop, Jan 25, 2010.

1. Kpasapop macrumors newbie

Hi,

I need some help repairing errors on my Macbook pro Disk.

My Macbook pro has been running slow as of late (spinning rainbow) causing other programs to freeze up. I verify/repaired the disk permissions with no problem until I went to verify/repair disk.

The error called "Filesystem verify or repair failed" appeared with the following information: invalid volume count / invalid directory count. This volume needs to be repaired.

Question: Is this causing the macbook to run slow? How can I repair this problem? What actions inflicts this problem? ( To prevent this in the future :) )

Sorry for my grammar errors but I've been working on this repair for hours..thank you in advance.

2. Kpasapop thread starter macrumors newbie

3. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

Try booting into single user mode. When powering on your MBP hold the command (Apple) and S keys down.

Type fsck -fy

Type reboot once it's done.

Then see if the errors persist by running Disk Utility in OS X.

Alternatively you could boot to the OS X DVD (hold C while booting with the DVD in the drive) and run Terminal.

Type df and then find the drive that has OS X installed. Make note of the name.

Type umount /dev/disk*** (replace *** with your disc's details)

Type fsck_hfs -r /dev/disk***

If none of the above works you could try Diskwarrior but it is not free ($99 I think) and if it is a hardware problem it won't help anyway. You could also reformat and start over.