FileTransporter by Connected Data

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by sfwalter, Jul 3, 2013.

1. sfwalter macrumors 68000

sfwalter

I don't know if many have heard about File Transporter by a company called Connected Data. Basically its billed as a private cloud device in which you can dump Dropbox.

Its a great device with one major flaw. You can't use spotlight to search for files. It comes with a 1 or 2 terabyte drive but you can't actually search for content on it.

I have to return the device. Its a great device but if you can't actually find the content on the drive without hunting and pecking seems kind of worthless to me.

Just a word to the wise in case you are thinking about it.

2. jsherhart macrumors newbie

Hey there,

Jim from Connected Data here. I just want to let you and other readers know that this issue was addressed with Version 2 software. Version 1 used FUSE which had some limitations including the ability for Spotlight to index the folder. In Version 2, we moved to a more native implementation similar to Dropbox, so the Transporter folder can now be indexed.

Many thanks,

Jim @ Connected Data
    www.filetransporter.com

3. budjames19454 macrumors newbie

Actually, you Spotlight still does not work if you use the Transporter Library where files are only stored on the Transporter device. I have been going back and forth with Doug and Steven at Drobo on this issue. They were promising a fix, but came back and said that it is more difficult than originally thought, so no solution is forthcoming in the near future.

I have found a workaround that's free. Devonthink's EasyFind search utility can be downloaded from DevonThink.com and can search the Transporter Library files. It's not an elegant solution, because you have to fire up the app to search, but it is a workaround for now. I have made Drobo aware of this solution. If a free app can solve the problem, they should be able to allow Spotlight searching to work.

Regards,
    Bud