Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ncage1974

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 25, 2012
So currently i have a bluetooth mouse & a USB keyboard on my mac. When i have to restart (before i log in) the mouse is unusable. There is a really nice logitech keyboard i've been looking at and it finally went on sale so i ordered it. Is there anyway to get bluetooth devices to work before you initially log in if your using Filevault? My keyboard does have the unified receiver too but i'd prefer not to have to use that if possible because of the big advantages of this keyboard is i can easily switch between different devices and of course your not going to be able to do that with a unified receiver. I hope there is more options than:

1. Turn FileVault off
2. Use the unified receiver from logitech rather than bluetooth

Any help would be appreciated.

blevins321

macrumors 68030
Dec 24, 2010
Detroit, MI
Following because I haven't worked out a good way around this, either. Seems the same regardless of my M1 MBA is in clamshell (shut w/ external display) or open. In my circumstance, my work Windows laptop has bluetooth disabled, so I use the Logitech receiver on that machine and would rather not have to swap (with a dongle required for regular USB) every time.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
It is not that the Bluetooth is not working, but when you use FileVault it boots to the recovery volume to give you the login screen and that boot volume does not run the Logitech drivers for the mouse or keyboard, so they won't work.

sylwiusz

macrumors member
Nov 8, 2012
Interesting as it seems that Apple probably resolved this problem in Ventura. I have just bought Keychron K2 v2 being ready to disable Filevault encryption. And surprise - it works perfectly in BT mode to enter my password after powering on my MBP with Filevault encryption enabled! Now maybe it is Keychron-only compatibility, but I really doubt it, worth checking with other brands!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.