Filevault 2, MBP Lion, Time Machine to Time Capsule: Encrypted already?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by dandanapple, Aug 2, 2012.

1. dandanapple macrumors newbie

dandanapple

I'm assuming that the Time Machine data on the Time Capsule is encrypted. Am I right?

Thanks.

2. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

3. dandanapple thread starter macrumors newbie

dandanapple

I don't think that option is available with Time Capsule in Lion. I think it's been introduced in Mountain Lion.

It's possible that that encrypts the data on the backup for those who are not using Filevault with their data already. So can somebody please confirm that in fact, even with Filevault encryption on the computer, the backup is not automatically encrypted?

4. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

It is an option with Lion. You can turn it on even for an existing TM backup disc. I'm not sure if there is a minimum-free-space requirement for the backup disc for this to change work.

5. dandanapple thread starter macrumors newbie

dandanapple

I don't see that option anywhere with Time Machine preferences. Yes, it works with directly connected drives and Time Machine. I've read several sources that say it doesn't work if Time Capsule is doing wireless backups.

6. Dark Dragoon macrumors 6502a

Dark Dragoon

With Lion backups made to network drives are by default unencrypted even if you have FileVault 2 active and there is no option to encrypt them. There are ways around this by creating an encrypted sparse image on the networked drive and backing up to that instead.

On Mountain Lion its a lot easier as the option to encrypt networked drives is available.

7. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

Quoting from the previously referenced http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1427 :

[​IMG]

"On OS X Lion, check "Encrypt Backup Disk" if you want to encrypt the Time Machine backup external drive using FileVault 2."​