Filevault 2, MBP Lion, Time Machine to Time Capsule: Encrypted already?

dandanapple

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 14, 2012
I'm assuming that the Time Machine data on the Time Capsule is encrypted. Am I right?

Thanks.

dandanapple

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 14, 2012
If you checked "Encrypt Backup Disk" when you selected the Time Machine backup disk.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1427
I don't think that option is available with Time Capsule in Lion. I think it's been introduced in Mountain Lion.

It's possible that that encrypts the data on the backup for those who are not using Filevault with their data already. So can somebody please confirm that in fact, even with Filevault encryption on the computer, the backup is not automatically encrypted?

BrianBaughn

macrumors 603
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
It is an option with Lion. You can turn it on even for an existing TM backup disc. I'm not sure if there is a minimum-free-space requirement for the backup disc for this to change work.

dandanapple

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 14, 2012
It is an option with Lion. You can turn it on even for an existing TM backup disc. I'm not sure if there is a minimum-free-space requirement for the backup disc for this to change work.
I don't see that option anywhere with Time Machine preferences. Yes, it works with directly connected drives and Time Machine. I've read several sources that say it doesn't work if Time Capsule is doing wireless backups.

Dark Dragoon

macrumors 6502a
Jul 28, 2006
UK
I don't see that option anywhere with Time Machine preferences. Yes, it works with directly connected drives and Time Machine. I've read several sources that say it doesn't work if Time Capsule is doing wireless backups.
With Lion backups made to network drives are by default unencrypted even if you have FileVault 2 active and there is no option to encrypt them. There are ways around this by creating an encrypted sparse image on the networked drive and backing up to that instead.

On Mountain Lion its a lot easier as the option to encrypt networked drives is available.