FileVault 2 on MBP with Boot Camp

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by thefizzle657, Feb 15, 2012.

1. thefizzle657 macrumors regular

Has anybody here enabled FileVault on their MBP that also has Windows 7 installed? I have OS X and Windows 7 on the same disk and have read that enabling FileVault 2 can cause Windows to BSOD upon start-up and don't want to go through the hassle of trying to troubleshoot it should the problem crop up. Also, is a disk more likely to get corrupted if FileVault is enabled? I have read some stories of people who, after enabling FileVault 2, shut off their computer and the next time they powered it up found that it had corrupted their whole disk and they couldn't even log in to OS X and decrypt the disk, eventually requiring a complete wipe and reinstall of OS X. I always keep a back up of my boot drive but it would be a real pain to have to reinstall everything. Thanks.

One thing to add, my OS X partition is 200GB with 170GB free and Windows is 56GB with 35GB or so free. Would this create any problem if I enabled FileVault (I read that partitions get resized and so that is why I ask)?

2. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

Did you end up enabling FileVault?

3. whiteonline macrumors 6502

whiteonline

I have never had issues with filevault2 and Boot Camp Windows 7. I have actually turned it off and back on without problem. It's smart enough to only modify the OS X partition.
    Of course, this applies to Boot Camp implemented per Apple documentation. Perhaps people having issues are running custom configs using ReFit, EFI workarounds and such...

4. thefizzle657 thread starter macrumors regular

I never got an answer to my question and forgot that I even made the topic so I never enabled it :D .

I insatlled W7 per Apple documentation, no rEFIt, no AHCI (although I really wanted to do this one to get the most out of my SSD) so I might go ahead and give it a try and see what happens. Thanks for the answer!