Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

micrors4racer

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 19, 2012
I have a 2012 MBA with a Toshiba SSD which seems to perform on par if not better to the Samsung ssd on other 2012 MBAs. How ever I read some reviews that stated the Toshiba does not perform as well as the Samsung with filevault enabled. My 2011 had a Samsung drive and it was not really affected by enabled filevault. What are your views on this?

jdechko

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2004
It has to do with the Sandforce controller on the Toshiba Drive. It's really fast for compressible data (think text), but it slows down considerably when it has to deal with uncompressible or already compressed data (think mp3's, video files).

Filevault comes into play because the encrypted data can't be compressed, so it's treated like uncompressed data. Write speeds on the Toshiba drive will drop from around 350-400 MB/s to around 250 MB/s!

The Samsung SSD uses a different controller which doesn't have this issue.

However, as I said earlier, this only deals with write speeds. So both drives can read data at about the same rate. This is where the speed comes from when booting, opening apps and opening large files. And unless you are working with large files quite often, you are not likely to notice the speed difference.

The biggest problem is the perception of having "the best" machine. Especially on MR, people like to make a big deal out of every little thing. Some are big deals (such as random core shutdowns on the early Airs and image ghosting on the new Retina displays), but most are just making mountains out of molehills.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
I have a 2012 MBA with a Toshiba SSD which seems to perform on par if not better to the Samsung ssd on other 2012 MBAs. How ever I read some reviews that stated the Toshiba does not perform as well as the Samsung with filevault enabled. My 2011 had a Samsung drive and it was not really affected by enabled filevault. What are your views on this?

Anandtech talks about this issue in their review here. Like micrors4racer said, this impacts write speeds only, so unless you are often doing very large writes you will never notice the difference.

I have a 2012 13" MBA with the 128GB Toshiba with FV2 enabled and did not notice any difference in day to day usage going from FV2 off to having it on.

I think like many of these SSD speed issues, it is really only detectable in synthetic speed tests.

micrors4racer

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 19, 2012
Interesting I thought it affect both read and write. Now that you say it only affects the write speeds then thats okay as I won't be writing large files to the drive often since it only has 128gb anyway. And in the end it still will be faster than my 2011 Samsung.

Does filevault standard external harddrives?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.